Wimbledon: Errani thrashed by record-breaker ShvedovaJune 30th, 2012 - 10:58 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 30 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Tenth seed Sara Errani crashed out of Wimbledon Saturday against wildcard Yaroslava Shvedova, who became the first player to win every point in a set at the tournament.
Shvedova won 6-0, 6-4 and utterly dominated the first set of the third-round match, preventing her Italian opponent from winning even one of the 24 points.
The match pitted together two sensations of the French Open in Errani, a surprise finalist, and Shvedova, who reached the fourth round as a qualifier, knocking out defending champion Li Na on the way.
Shvedova’s reward is a match against four-time Wimbledon champion Serena Williams, who overcame China’s Zheng Zie in an epic three-setter.
Williams came back from a set down to beat Zheng 6-7 (5-7),6-2, 9-7 in a match lasting two hours and 28 minutes.
Elsewhere, reigning champion Petra Kvitova booked a fourth-round match with 2010 French Open champion Francesca Schiavone by trouncing Varvara Lepchenko of the US.
Kvitova, the fourth seed, demolished the Uzbekistan-born Lepchenko 6-0, 6-1 in just 53 minutes.
Schiavone, the 2010 French Open champion, thrashed Czech player Klara Zakopalova in the first set and held her nerve in the second to seal a 6-0, 6-4.
Serbia’s Ana Ivanovic came back from a set down to knock out 22nd seed Julia Goerges of Germany 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.
Ivanovic, the 14th seed, will play world No. 2 Victoria Azarenka in the fourth round if the Belarusian manages to beat Slovakian qualifier Jana Cepelova.
- Williams survives scare to beat Shvedova - Jul 02, 2012
- Wimbledon: Sharapova knocked out; Williams survives scare (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Nadal, Li advance to 4th round at French Open - Jun 03, 2012
- Kvitova survives scare to reach Wimbledon second round (Second Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- U.S. Open: Robson ousts Li Na - Sep 01, 2012
- Schiavone fights back to oust Robson (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Gilles Simon goes down to Xavier Malisse at Wimbledon (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2012
- Australian Open: Nishikori eliminates Tsonga, Makarova stuns Serena - Jan 23, 2012
- Serbia-Czech Republic in Fed Cup final - Apr 23, 2012
- Djokovic, Sharapova coast into Australian Open fourth round (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- US Open: Top seeds flare up in second round - Sep 02, 2011
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- French Open: World No.1 Azarenka crashes out - Jun 03, 2012
- US Open: Radwanska ousted by Vinci - Sep 04, 2012
- US Open: Wimbledon champion Kvitova falls at first hurdle - Aug 30, 2011
Tags: ana ivanovic, belarusian, champion li, defending champion, francesca schiavone, french open, french open champion, jana, julia goerges, ria novosti, sara errani, sensations, serena williams, varvara lepchenko, vd, victoria azarenka, vm, wildcard, wimbledon, yaroslava shvedova