Wimbledon Centre Court’s retractable roof inauguratedMay 18th, 2009 - 2:36 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 18 (ANI): The new 80 million pound Centre Court retractable roof at Wimbledon worked without a hitch on Sunday as Tim Henman, Andre Agassi, Steffi Graf and Kim Clijsters starred in an exhibition event to mark its unveiling.
“I have not always been in favour of change in tennis, yet this is fantastic. It was cold, wet and windy outside but the court surface was fine and the atmosphere very good. I’ve always thought the atmosphere on Centre Court phenomenal, as it’s the best court in the world. But with this roof, I’m convinced it will be even better,” The Sun quoted Henman, 34, as saying.
Agassi, 39, said: “I was a little worried the court could become slippery but it was great. The sound was incredible. “We’ve had some titanic battles on this court, particularly in last year’s Nadal v Federer final. The atmosphere, though, will be even better when the roof is closed.”
The project took three years and all 15,000 tickets for yesterday’s initial ’shout out’ were sold in less than five minutes.
The button was pressed to close the roof at 2.40 p.m. and seven minutes later it was completely shut.
Henman joined Clijsters to beat the husband and wife duo of Agassi and Graf 7-6 in an entertaining doubles.
Agassi then beat Henman 6-4 before Clijsters, 25, who is coming out of retirement later this year, defeated Graf 6-4.
Graf, 39, who triumphed at Wimbledon seven times, said: “The memories came flooding back.” (ANI)
- Clijsters upsets Ivanovic at Olympics - Aug 01, 2012
- New retractable roof for Wimbledon to beat rain, bad light blues - Apr 22, 2009
- Li Na appreciates hubby's support for her Australian Open campaign - Jan 29, 2011
- Clijsters to face Zvonareva in US Open final - Sep 11, 2010
- Olympic tennis: Djokovic, Tsonga survive scare - Jul 30, 2012
- Venus Williams enters US Open semi-finals for the seventh time - Sep 08, 2010
- Federer enters fourth round at Wimbledon - Jun 26, 2010
- Belgian rivals set up fourth-round showdown, Isner crashes - Jun 26, 2010
- Olympic tennis: Serena Williams beats Zvonareva - Aug 01, 2012
- Agassi and kids keep Steffi busy at 40 - Jun 10, 2009
- Andre Agassi uses 'nude' image of wife Steffi Graf for charity - Jan 12, 2011
- Australian Open: Nadal overcomes Berdych, to meet Federer in semis (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2012
- Nadal, Murray power through as rain fails to dampen US Open - Sep 04, 2010
- Boris Becker -- star born at Wimbledon 1985 - Jul 05, 2010
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
Tags: agassi steffi graf, andre agassi, andre agassi steffi graf, atmosphere, court surface, exhibition event, favour, five minutes, husband and wife, kim clijsters, memories, retirement, seven times, shout, steffi graf, tim henman, titanic battles, unveiling, wife duo, wimbledon