Williams sisters confirm participation in Australian OpenDecember 23rd, 2011 - 2:42 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Dec 23 (IANS) Injury and illness may have affected their game but the Williams sisters, Venus and Serena, will play in the Australian Open tennis next month.
Confirming this, Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley said both are coming to Melbourne.
Venus, a five-time Wimbledon champion, played in only four tournaments this year, a quarter-final at Eastbourne, ahead of Wimbledon, being her best result, Xinhua reported. She missed first four months with a right hip problem, and then she was diagnosed to be suffering from the immune deficiency Sjogren’s Syndrome, which causes joint soreness and fatigue.
Venus has decided to have an extra two weeks’ preparation for Melbourne (January 16-29) and give Auckland (January 2-9) a miss.
Serena, who missed the last Australian Open, has also had a bad run this year. She was hit with a heel injury and then pulmonary embolism, missing 12 months in total, not returning until June.
She then withdrew from Tokyo and Beijing in October with illness and finished the year at No. 12 Venus’s ranking has slipped to 102, the lowest the former No. 1 has been in 15 years.
- Wimbledon: Sania-Elena seeded fourth, Paes-Bhupathi third - Jun 15, 2011
- Olympic tennis: Federer plays Murray in repeat of Wimbledon final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- 2012 Australian Open to be richest Grand Slam - Oct 04, 2011
- Venus pulls out of Australian Open - Jan 10, 2012
- Serena Williams wins fifth Wimbledon singles title - Jul 07, 2012
- Venus Williams pulls out of China Open due to knee injury - Oct 02, 2010
- Good to be back at Flushing Meadows: Williams' father - Aug 31, 2010
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Sharapova and Serena pull out of China Open - Sep 30, 2011
- Wozniacki, Sharapova, Venus sail into round two of Australian Open - Jan 17, 2011
- Serena saves Williams pride as Venus knocked out (Lead) - Jun 30, 2010
- US Open: Somdev takes on Murray, Sania plays Peer - Aug 26, 2011
- After French win, Sharapova eyes Wimbledon - Jun 24, 2012
- US Open, Day 2: Wozniacki out, Djokovic in second round (Roundup) - Aug 29, 2012
- Wimbledon: Venus Williams crashes out, Djokovic advances (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: 12 months, australian open, australian open tennis, beijing, craig tiley, eastbourne, fatigue, five time wimbledon champion, four months, game, immune deficiency, joint soreness, melbourne, participation, tokyo, tournament director, venus and serena, williams sisters, wimbledon, xinhua