William, Harry, Kate named ambassadors of 2012 OlympicsDecember 1st, 2011 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 1 (IANS) Prince William, his wife Kate and Prince Harry have been named official ambassadors of the British team that would take part in the 2012 London Olympics and Paralympics.
All three said Thursday they were “honoured” to become ambassadors for the team, and added that they will play an active role encouraging the public to support the sportsmen and women, the Daily Telegraph reported citing a statement from St James’s Palace.
The British royals will visit Olympic venues and athletes’ training camps as well as attend the Olympics in July and the Paralympics a month later.
A palace spokesman said the Olympic programme for the three would likely focus on “helping young people reach their full potential”.
William said in a statement: “Catherine, Harry and I are honoured to be ambassadors… London hosting the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games will inspire so many people, particularly the young, to be the best they can be.”
“We are hugely looking forward to this incredible sporting competition, but are also looking beyond next summer’s games to the springboard it will provide for future success and excellence.
- Zoo animals have their own games (Olympic diary) - Aug 10, 2012
- Top divers to compete in World Cup and Olympic test - Feb 18, 2012
- William wants Kate to be called 'princess' - May 01, 2011
- Athletics track at London Olympic Stadium complete - Oct 04, 2011
- Beckham, five young guns to bring Olympic Flame to UK - May 16, 2012
- London Paralympics Games organisers launch short film - Aug 27, 2010
- Dope cheats must withdraw from Olympics: WADA - Jul 11, 2012
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- Wills-Kat to move in with Prince Harry after royal wedding - Apr 07, 2011
- Kate Middleton pregnant? - Sep 06, 2012
- Cleaners to report drug abuse in London Olympic Village - Oct 04, 2011
- Designing Kate's wedding dress was an honour: Sarah Burton - Apr 30, 2011
- London apologises to North Korea after flag blunder - Jul 26, 2012
- Prince William picks brother Harry as best man - Feb 14, 2011
- Fairytale wedding for Will-Kat - world hopes happily ever after - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: 2012 london olympics, 2012 olympics, ambassadors, british royals, daily telegraph, olympic venues, olympics, palace spokesman, paralympic games, paralympics, prince harry, prince william, s games, sportsmen, springboard, st james, training camps, wife kate