Will Indian women’s cricket team get its first Keralite?February 1st, 2012 - 2:42 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Feb 1 (IANS) Her chances of making it to the national side are a bright 75 percent but leg-spinner Asha Joy’s family is leaving nothing to chance and cajoling the gods to give the Indian women’s cricket team its first player from Kerala.
Twenty one-year-old Asha is currently at the probables camp which will end in a few days at Bangalore. The team for a tour to the West Indies is expected to be announced Friday.
Some 20 girls are attending the camp, out of which five would be dropped.
The girl’s father, Joy Babu, has been an autorickshaw driver in Thiruvananthapuram since 25 years. He is currently visiting Hyderabad Asha, on the strength on her sporting skills, has got a job with the railways and also a house.
Speaking to IANS over telephone from Hyderabad, Joy Babu said his family has left everything to god.
“Asha’s mother and my son are also with me. We are constantly in prayers,” he said.
Kerala women’s cricket selector Shabina Jacob, who is Asha’s mentor and a former team manager, said there was no reason why she should not be selected.
“She is the lone leg-spinner and has also done well in the recent past. It is going to be a major boost to women’s cricket in the state if she gets selected,” said Jacob.
Asha first came into reckoning in 2004 when she represented the capital district in the state championship.
“Even though her team lost in the semifinals, she was selected to represent the state because of her excellent performance. Now she is now knocking the doors to reach the pinnacle, to represent the country,” said Jacob.
In 2010, Asha became the state captain and was also selected for the south zone team. She was appointed the vice captain of the south zone team last year.
“We are thankful to god and to all our well wishers, including the state cricket administrators, for reposing faith in my sister and help her develop her talent. We are in prayers to hear the good news,” said Anoop Joy, brother of Asha.
- Anup Jacob's mother delighted at his by-poll win - Mar 21, 2012
- Kaneria frustrated over delay in court hearing - Sep 27, 2011
- The new VCA stadium has charm, the old one history (World Cup Diary) - Mar 12, 2011
- Former Australia selectors' chief Hohns makes a comeback - Aug 08, 2011
- Axeing of Katich is unfathomable: McGain - Jun 16, 2011
- Piravom by-election March 18, first acid test for UDF government - Feb 17, 2012
- Nair slams 113 to rescue Mumbai in Buchi Babu cricket - Aug 29, 2010
- Kaneria wants justice from PCB - May 04, 2011
- India's football talent hunt to start Friday - Jun 14, 2012
- Bishoo named Guyana's cricketer-of-the-year - Dec 18, 2011
- Former Pak cricketers lash out at team selection - May 04, 2011
- CPI-M demands case, probe against Congress MP - Jun 30, 2012
- Suman powers SBI into final of BCCI Corporate Cricket - Sep 05, 2011
- A fit Samit Patel raring to go - Oct 06, 2011
- Muslims in Kerala observe Ramadan fast - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: asha, babu, cricket team, doors, few days, former team, indian women, jacob, kerala women, keralite, mentor, pinnacle, prayers, railways, shabina, south zone, vice captain, well wishers, west indies, zone team