Will Dhoni adopt a tiger please!May 3rd, 2011 - 3:58 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, May 3 (IANS) Enthused by Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra’s gesture to ‘adopt’ a tigress, the authorities at Birsa Zoological Park are hoping cricket captain and Ranchi boy M.S. Dhoni will do the same.
“We are going to write a letter in a day or two to Dhoni requesting him to adopt a tiger named Sugriv. Dhoni is from here and internationally acclaimed. If he adopts a tiger, then it will help in conservation and protection of wildlife, particularly tigers,” P.K. Verma, director of Birsa Zoological Park, told IANS.
If someone adopts an animal at the zoo, he or she is responsible for its upkeep.
Actress Priyanka Chopra adopted the tigress Durga for a year. The period of adoption began May 1. She has already given Rs.2.24 lakh to the zoo authorities for its upkeep.
The Ranchi zoo authorities started the adoption programme for two reasons - to create awareness among people about wildlife and to mop up resources.
“Adopting an animal is different from being a brand ambassador. Dhoni can adopt a tiger considering the declining number of tigers in Jharkhand,” said Verma.
In Betla National Park, the number of tigers declined from 42 to 17 in 10 years. Following this, Jharkhand wanted Dhoni to become a brand ambassador for the state’s tigers to create awareness about conservation. But with Uttarakhand, the state from which Dhoni’s ancestors hail, also wanting the same, this created a controversy.
There has been a good responses to the zoo’s adoption programme.
The Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) has adopted three elephants — Ramu, Samrat and Lakhi — for five years and has paid Rs.35.88 lakh to the zoo authorities for their upkeep.
The Punjab National Bank (PNB) has adopted all seven peacocks in the zoo for five years and paid Rs.1.85 lakh.
- After tigress, Priyanka adopts lioness - Jun 02, 2012
- Another tiger cub dies in Bihar - Sep 03, 2012
- Panna has a new resident - Kanha's orphan tigress - Nov 13, 2011
- Tiger cub dies, two others critical - Aug 29, 2012
- Aurangabad tigress gifted to Jamshedpur's Tata Zoological Park - Dec 11, 2010
- Bhagwan Birsa Zoo in Jharkhand launches animal adoption programme - Nov 20, 2010
- Room heaters, bonfires keep Ranchi's zoo animals warm - Jan 07, 2011
- Third tiger cub at Patna zoo also dead - Sep 04, 2012
- Wildlife guardians: Adoptions rise at Van Vihar (With Image) - Jun 22, 2011
- Kanha's second orphaned tigress sent to Panna reserve - Nov 13, 2011
- Bhopal office of SBI adopts tigress (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Feb 01, 2010
- Bihar office of SBI adopts tigress - Feb 01, 2010
- Panna all set to welcome Kanha tigress - Mar 25, 2011
- Sweeden's park where wolves killed Zookeeper now offers "wild encounters" to its visitors - Jun 19, 2012
- Four tiger cubs born in Chhattisgarh zoo - Jun 22, 2011
Tags: actress priyanka, adopting an animal, ancestors, cricket captain, durga, elephants, enthused, gesture, lakh, m s dhoni, peacocks, priyanka chopra, punjab national bank, punjab national bank pnb, samrat, steel authority of india limited, tigers, tigress, upkeep, zoological park