Wigan sign midfielder N’ZogbiaFebruary 3rd, 2009 - 1:57 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 3 (DPA) Wigan Athletic completed the signing of midfielder Charles N’Zogbia from Newcastle United.The turbulent 22-year-old moves in a part swap with Wigan midfielder Ryan Taylor, for an undisclosed fee believed to be a Wigan record.
N’Zogbia, who has had a troubled time of late on Tyneside, vowed never to play for the club again after manager Joe Kinnear called him “Insomnia” in a television interview.
Wigan boss Steve Bruce told the club’s website: “I think this boy can be a really good player for us.
“He’s lightning fast going forward but can also play at the back and he fills that left-sided role we’ve been looking for.
“He is young but he has experience. For a boy of his age to have played well over 100 Premier League games is rare, so with his best years ahead of him, he is exactly the type of player we need for the long-term building of Wigan Athletic.”
N’Zogbia, meanwhile, paid tribute to Newcastle, but reiterated his disappointment with Kinnear.
“The best thing for me was to move on,” he told Setanta Sports News. “I didn’t want to play under that manager anymore.
“I will always hold the Newcastle fans in the highest regard and wish them all the best in the future.”
Newcastle, meanwhile, had an 8-million pound-bid for Manchester City midfielder Michael Johnson rejected Monday.
- Wigan Athletic ace N'Zogbia in driving test fraud probe - Apr 22, 2010
- Rooney's hooker hunting footballers again? - Oct 11, 2010
- Chelsea seal Moses signing - Aug 25, 2012
- Midfielder N'Zogbia seeks to leave Newcastle - Dec 24, 2008
- Newcastle United complete Anita transfer - Aug 16, 2012
- Referee Clattenburg 'was ready to walk away over Rooney elbowing incident - Mar 05, 2011
- Athletic's Oscar de Marcos pens new deal - Jan 05, 2012
- Atletico Madrid sign Turkish international - May 30, 2012
- Former Real Madrid coach leads Gremio into top four - Jun 25, 2012
- Del Bosque hints at taking uncapped players to Euro 2012 - May 16, 2012
- Arsenal boss threw water bottle in rage after his team's loss - Apr 19, 2010
- Deco prefers Libertadores to Champions League medals - Apr 19, 2012
- McCartney rejoins West Ham - Jul 01, 2012
- Brazilian Jefferson set to sign for Sporting Lisbon - Jun 04, 2012
- Dynamo Kiev signs Portugal's Veloso - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: boss, disappointment, dpa, insomnia, joe kinnear, lightning, london feb, manchester city, michael johnson, newcastle fans, newcastle united, premier league games, regard, ryan taylor, setanta sports, sports news, television interview, troubled time, undisclosed fee, wigan athletic