Wife searches for missing Iranian mountaineer’s body in NepalMay 1st, 2009 - 4:46 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, May 1 (IANS) Six months after an Iranian doctor went missing while attempting to climb a Himalayan peak in northern Nepal, his wife has returned to the Himalayan republic in a bid to find his body.
Saed Bahaeloo Horeh, a doctor, had been part of an Iranian team attempting to summit the Tilicho, a 7135-metre high peak in northern Manang district last autumn.
He went missing Oct 28 and his companions feared he could have fallen into a crevasse.
Though a 12-member rescue team searched the slopes for six days and an army helicopter was pressed into service, the search had to be called off due to bad weather and the beginning of avalanches.
Towards the end of the search, the climbers found the missing mountaineer’s rucksack as well as his medical kit. They also found a boot and crampon which reinforced the fear that he could have fallen down and become trapped in a crevasse.
Now with summer having set in and the snow on the mountains starting to melt, the 32-year-old doctor’s wife Maryam Moeinal Ghorbael is in Nepal to try to recover her husband’s body.
The Trekking Agencies’ Association of Nepal said a reward of $1,000 was being offered to anyone who could help find the missing mountaineer or give clues about his whereabouts.
An imaginative medical researcher, the Iranian doctor had co-authored research on such thought-provoking issues as the boost mountaineering provided to climbers’ self-esteem and the effect of marital discord on recipients of donated kidneys.
- Chopper crashes, crew killed in bid to rescue Japanese climber (Second Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
- Chopper searching for Japanese climber crashes in Nepal (Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
- Chinese climber dead, two missing during Dhaulagiri ascent - May 17, 2010
- 'Super Sherpa' breaks Everest record with 21 summits - May 11, 2011
- Stranded Everest heroes rescued in Nepal - Jan 24, 2011
- Melting glaciers making Mount Everest 'more dangerous to climb' - May 26, 2010
- Nepal's 9-yr-old to defy age bar for Everest record - Nov 05, 2010
- 19 times Everest summiter missing after avalanche in Nepal - Oct 25, 2010
- Everest superstar eyes 20th summit - Mar 12, 2010
- IAF team to scale Mount Everest - Apr 13, 2011
- 82-year-old's death on Everest can't dampen 'old' climbers - May 10, 2011
- Bodies of two US mountaineers found in Peru - Jul 30, 2012
- First woman from India's northeast conquers Everest - May 11, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee gets towering gifts - from the Himalayas - May 21, 2011
- Indians rewriting Everest story - May 19, 2012
Tags: army helicopter, avalanches, bad weather, climbers, crampon, crevasse, high peak, himalayan peak, iranian team, kathmandu, kidneys, last autumn, manang, marital discord, medical kit, medical researcher, mountaineer, mountaineering, northern nepal, six days