White Sox call on `First Fan’ ObamaApril 21st, 2009 - 12:27 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr.21 (ANI): President Obama greeted each member of the White Sox team during their tour of the White House on Monday.
Octavio Dotel, a relief pitcher from the Dominican Republic, asked for — and received — a hug instead of a handshake from Obama.
‘This is a guy I’ve been following. It’s exciting to see him. He’s such a powerful man. I never met him before, and it’s really neat to be around him.Just to be close to him and have that chance … I saw the opportunity to ask for a hug. He said, ‘Of course.’ That was really nice of him. He knows a lot about us. He noticed that we’ve been playing well lately. He’s a big fan. I can tell he really enjoyed [the visit],’ the Chicago Sun Times quoted Dotel, as saying.
About 30 White Sox players, staff, front-office personnel and family members visited the White House, a day before beginning a series in Baltimore tonight.
‘We got to see everything. All we needed to see is where he lives. I’m telling you, it was great,’ Dotel said.
Dotel had been to the White House as a member of the Houston Astros when George W. Bush was in office, but the team didn’t get to meet Bush — let alone hug him.
The Sox presented Obama with a black jersey with his name and No. 1 on the back, as well as autographed baseballs, T-shirts and caps. He took several photos with the group and told the Sox to keep winning so he can invite them back as World Series champions. (ANI)
- Singer Vladimir Dotel hospitalized - Mar 19, 2012
- Bush to unveil his portrait in White House - May 19, 2012
- Bobby Jenks Agrees To $2Million Deal With Boston Red Sox? - Dec 17, 2010
- Harry Potter villain says fans are scared of him in real life! - May 01, 2010
- Jindal calls Obama 'most liberal, most incompetent' - Jun 09, 2012
- Former Yankees baseball player desperate to block wife-swap film - Feb 24, 2011
- Obama called Bush, Clinton before releasing statement on Osama's death - May 02, 2011
- SRK again detained at US airport, India tells US sorry won't do(Roundup) - Apr 13, 2012
- Obama lays wreath at Ground Zero memorial - May 06, 2011
- Pedro Martinez Throws The Ceremonial Pitch For The Boston Red Sox - Apr 05, 2010
- Shah Rukh Khan detained again at NYK airport(Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- No pleasure in Osama death: Bush - Sep 06, 2011
- Angels Wins Against Red Sox for Three Home Runs of Torii Hunter - Oct 09, 2009
- Bono earned Obama's praise for dodging Bush's hug - Jul 22, 2009
- Britons preferring a hug to a handshake - May 24, 2012
Tags: autographed baseballs, caps, chicago sun times, dominican republic, family members, george w bush, handshake, houston astros, octavio dotel, photos, powerful man, relief pitcher, sox players, white house, white sox, world series, world series champions