When Sachin played under ImranFebruary 8th, 2011 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 8 (IANS) Not many know, but India’s batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar had played under Pakistan captain Imran Khan in 1988 — a year before he made his international debut in Pakistan. In a book titled ‘SACH,’ by Gautam Bhattacharya, Tendulkar revealed that he played under Imran but as a substitute fielder during a festival match at the Cricket Club of India (CCI) in Mumbai.
Imran asked him to field in the deep and Tendulkar couldn’t complete a catch and going back home, in the local train, constantly grumbled about the captain’s field placements.
“Absolutely true. I went in as a substitute. Imran was the Pakistan captain. No words were exchanged with him. But yes, I may’ve got the catch if I was kept slightly ahead (laughs),” Sachin said.
The book also revealed that a year before in 1987, Sachin was selected as a promising fast bowler to train at legendary Australian fast bowler Dennis Lillee’s MRF Pace Academy in Chennai, but was rejected.
“I was okay with it. In any case I was not aspiring to become a fast bowler. I thought of myself as a fast bowling all-rounder. That is precisely the reason I had carried my batting kit to Chennai. I didn’t get an opportunity to bat. I did bowl for one or two sessions,” Sachin said.
Former India captain Sourav Ganguly was also part of the camp, but Sachin doesn’t remember meeting him.
“As for Sourav, I don’t remember meeting him there. Later on at the national camp, I caught up with him,” said Sachin.
- Tendulkar should go out on a high: Imran - Sep 12, 2012
- Harbhajan thanks Tendulkar for adding variety to his bowling - Jul 08, 2011
- Yes, Tendulkar was scared of Shoaib's pace: Afridi - Oct 01, 2011
- Tendulkar never scared me as much as Gilchrist, Lara: Shoaib Akhtar - Mar 21, 2011
- Dutchman Seelaar ecstatic at Tendulkar's wicket - Mar 10, 2011
- When Sachin sledged to rattle McGrath, the ploy worked! - Feb 05, 2011
- Indians will have trouble on quick pitches: Taylor - Dec 22, 2011
- Dropping Sachin four times is unacceptable: Imran Khan - Mar 31, 2011
- Edwards again eyeing Tendulkar's wicket - Nov 12, 2011
- Rohit can be a good finisher: Dhoni - Mar 19, 2012
- Batting failures not helping India's cause: Yadav - Jan 14, 2012
- Akhtar could make best batsmen nervous: Gul - Oct 02, 2011
- Seven Indian cricketers in fray for ODI dream team - Dec 22, 2010
- Stage set for Tendulkar to get his 100th century: Ganguly - Jan 25, 2012
- Dhoni happy with team's showing against New Zealand - Sep 03, 2012
Tags: bowling, cci, chennai, cricket club, dennis lillee, field placements, imran khan, international debut, local train, maestro, match, mrf, mumbai, New Delhi, pace academy, pakistan captain, rounder, sachin tendulkar, sessions, sourav ganguly