Westwood sure his ‘time in the sun’ about to comeApril 13th, 2010 - 1:38 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 13 (ANI): English Ryder Cup ace and Augusta Masters runner-up, Lee Westwood, is not upset over being pipped by Phil Mickelson, because it is not the Major he believed he would win this season.
Westwood finished three shots behind Mickelson after going into the final round with a one-shot lead, The Sun reports.
“The law of averages says the door is going to open one day. You just have to keep plugging away and eventually it will happen,” Westwood said.
“Obviously everything revolves around the Majors for me these days and at the start of the year I sat down and thought about which of the courses suited me best.
“I actually put Augusta at the bottom of the list; so finishing second has to give me loads of encouragement in the long run,” Westwood said.
“Top of the list was Pebble Beach, followed by St Andrews, Whistling Straits for the USPGA, then Augusta. Pebble Beach is where we go next, for the US Open.
“I finished fifth there the last time we played it, I love the place and I’m a much better player now. So bring it on,” The Sun quoted Westwood, as saying.
Westwood has now finished third or better in all four Majors, and insisted his Augusta exploits have made him even more certain he will win one soon.
Mickelson, who bagged his third Green Jacket and his fourth Major, recalled how he had been described as a ‘nearly man’ when he failed to win any in his first 46 attempts.
And the new world No 2 said he is certain Westwood will join him in the big time league. (ANI)
- Augusta Masters runner-up was close to quitting golf - Apr 13, 2010
- Ryder Cup hero Lee Westwood eyes No.1 spot - Oct 06, 2010
- McDowell holds steady as star-studded field falls apart - Jun 21, 2010
- American Mickelson storms to third Masters victory - Apr 12, 2010
- Atwal misses cut, McDowell leads Mickelson at US Open - Jun 19, 2010
- Golfer Woods struggling with poor form in Florida - May 09, 2010
- Woods to take a fortnight off to 're-evaluate' things - Apr 12, 2010
- Tiger Woods will be humble and humiliated at Augusta - Apr 05, 2010
- Westwood to defend title at Indonesian Masters - Apr 11, 2012
- Donald moves a step closer to becoming world's top golfer - Apr 23, 2011
- Englishmen Westwood and Poulter two shots clear at halfway - Apr 10, 2010
- 'Emotional' Mickelson overcomes wife's battle with cancer to win Augusta Masters - Apr 12, 2010
- Tiger Woods crashes to worst performance since 2003 USPGA championship - Aug 09, 2010
- Phil Mickelson Promises To Bounce Back - Jun 19, 2010
- Montgomerie expects Tiger Woods finish in top five at Augusta National - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: ace, attempts, augusta masters, big time, bottom of the list, encouragement, exploits, last time, law of averages, lee westwood, majors, pebble beach, phil mickelson, ryder cup, st andrews, three shots, time in the sun, time league, uspga, whistling straits