West Indies tour helped me prepare for comeback: PujaraAugust 23rd, 2012 - 11:16 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 23 (IANS) Cheteshwar Pujara, who struck his maiden Test century here Thursday, said the recent India A’s tour of the West Indies helped him prepare well for his comeback series.
Pujara made 119 in India’s 307 for five by stumps on day one of the first Test against New Zealand and looks set for a big score in his first international game since January 2011.
“We were playing in tough conditions on the A tour to the West Indies. The series helped me prepare well for bigger challenges,” said Pujara, recalling the Caribbean tour where he captained the side.
Talking about the conditions at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium here, Pujara said: “I had faced a similar bowling attack earlier and I knew the ground well. Interestingly, the pitch is slowing down and it is starting to turn.”
Pujara, recalled to the side in the wake of Rahul Dravid’s retirement, was happy about being amongst the runs in his comeback match.
“I am happy that I have started well. I would like to thank my father for supporting me. It is my immense love for the game that keeps me going,” said Pujara.
The 24-year-old was confident of a scoring a double hundred Friday.
“Dhoni is telling me to score a double-century and we will look to go past 400,” he added.
- Pujara banking on de Villiers' advice ahead of Windies tour - May 29, 2012
- Ponting retires from ODIs, vows to carry on in Tests (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- West Indies discards playing for recall - Jun 02, 2012
- West Indies A 127/2 at lunch on second day - Jun 18, 2012
- Pujara to lead India A for Caribbean tour - Apr 27, 2012
- India to make fresh start against New Zealand (Preview) - Aug 22, 2012
- Bangladesh series can be challenging, says Ramdin - Oct 07, 2011
- Yuvraj returns for T20 World Cup, Harbhajan recalled (Second Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Pujara's 50 fails to stop West Indies from taking lead - Jun 11, 2012
- Pujara's ton keeps India on top against New Zealand (Roundup) - Aug 23, 2012
- Ishant hopes for a good show against New Zealand - Aug 20, 2012
- Johnson and Permaul maul India A by 125 runs - Jun 13, 2012
- Unfamiliar English conditions will be big hurdle: WI opener - May 13, 2012
- Former West Indies captain Gerry Alexander dead - Apr 18, 2011
- Dravid happy to complete unfinished job at Lord's - Jul 24, 2011
Tags: bowling, caribbean tour, challenges, dhoni, double century, first test, hyderabad, India, international game, maiden test, match, new zealand, pitch, rahul dravid, rajiv gandhi international stadium, retirement, score, stumps, test century, west indies