Werder win German CupMay 31st, 2009 - 3:56 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, May 31 (Xinhua) German football powerhouse Werder Bremen made up for a disappointing league and defeat in the UEFA Cup final by claiming the German Cup, beating Bayer Leverkusen 1-0 here.
Midfielder Mesut Oezil scored the only goal in the 58th minute Saturday as Weder lifted the trophy for the sixth time and ensure them a place in next season’s inaugural Europa League.
Ten days after losing to Shakhtar Donetsk in the UEFA Cup and a week on from the 5-1 thumping that earned Wolfsburg the league title, Thomas Schaaf’s men were on a song. They were driven by playmaker Diego in his final competitive appearance for the club before moving to Juventus.
In the 54th minute, Werder keeper Tim Wiese had to deal with a ferocious long-range effort from Tranquillo Barnetta.
Werder’s response was not long in coming. Diego freed up Oezil and the 20-year-old midfielder rifled home from a tight angle.
- Schalke sign Swiss midfielder Barnetta - Jul 04, 2012
- Ozil strikes to give Bremen UEFA cup - May 31, 2009
- We are not the favourites: German soccer coach - Jun 02, 2012
- Germany reveal provisional squad for Euro 2012 - May 08, 2012
- Shakhtar Donetsk win UEFA Cup (Lead) - May 21, 2009
- Schaaf declines comment on reported talks with Wolfsburg - May 09, 2009
- Diego signs with Juventus in move from Bremen - May 26, 2009
- Bayern crash out of Cup, Hamburg and Bremen progress - Mar 05, 2009
- Oezil, Khedira asked to learn English or Spanish by Mourinho - Sep 01, 2010
- Bremen defender Naldo to miss Leverkusen clash - Jan 26, 2012
- Werder Bremen reject Real Madrid offer for Oezil - Aug 14, 2010
- German coach Loew drops Cacau from Euro 2012 squad - May 29, 2012
- Loew calls up Hunt and Mueller for friendlies - Nov 06, 2009
- German Bundesliga kicks off August 27 - Jun 27, 2012
- Late goal prevents Leverkusen opening a gap at the top - Feb 22, 2010
Tags: appearance, bayer leverkusen, berlin, donetsk, football powerhouse, german cup, german football, playmaker, sixth time, thomas schaaf, tim wiese, tranquillo barnetta, trophy, uefa cup, weder, werder bremen, xinhua