Wenger says will rest his stars to win Premier LeagueJanuary 2nd, 2010 - 6:09 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan. 2 (ANI): Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says he is ready to rest most of his first team in the FA Cup against West Ham tomorrow, because he wants them rested and fit enough to win the Premier League title later in the year.
Arsenal can close to a point of Premier League leaders Chelsea if they take care of managerless Bolton at home on Wednesday night.
Wenger’s side face three games in six days, with Everton visiting 72 hours after Bolton
The Sun quoted him, as saying: “I will have to rest some players because there were some knocks again on Wednesday against Portsmouth. We want to win but want to protect our home games against Bolton and Everton as well.”A crushing 3-0 home defeat to Chelsea on November 29 had left the Gunners’ championship challenge in tatters. Yet five wins and a draw later Arsenal have a realistic chance of a first title in six years.
Wenger also rates the FA Cup ahead of the Carling Cup.
“The Carling Cup for us is exclusively for young players and the FA Cup is one to win. Of course I’m still excited by it. A Cup is a Cup and we want to do well,” he said. (ANI)
- Arsenal won't end trophy drought this season: Redknapp - Apr 21, 2011
- Wenger to get 55 million pounds for squad overhaul - Feb 20, 2012
- Arsenal under pressure to meet only remaining Premier League 'target': Wenger - Mar 21, 2011
- Wenger gunning for Man U - Mar 03, 2011
- Gunners move to within two points of Premier League leader Chelsea - Nov 15, 2010
- Arsenal needs to work harder to end trophy drought: Wenger - Apr 21, 2011
- Wenger says Arsenal are 'trying to win everything they can' - Jan 26, 2011
- 'Consistent' Arsenal can win Premier League title: Wenger - Oct 31, 2010
- Wenger says next 18 months will decide his future with Arsenal - Jan 11, 2010
- Lifting Carling Cup would end doubts about Arsenal, says Wenger - Feb 26, 2011
- Arsenal unbeatable, says Cameroon midfielder Song - Jan 01, 2010
- Fabregas warns title rivals Man U, Chelsea - Jan 18, 2010
- Wenger takes dig at Nani's 'intelligence' for writing off Arsenal's championship chances - Dec 24, 2010
- Wenger hopes Henry's presence can inspire Gunners - Nov 18, 2011
- Rule on fielding full-strength teams in EPL to be relaxed - Jul 15, 2011
Tags: arsenal, bolton, carling cup, championship challenge, everton, fa cup, gunners, home games, league leaders, london jan, portsmouth, premier league, realistic chance, side face, six days, six years, tatters, three games, wednesday night, west ham