Wenger says he is not going to leave ArsenalMay 20th, 2009 - 3:21 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 20 (ANI): Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has given the clearest indication yet that he intends to stay on as manager of the club.
A day after he met chief executive Ivan Gazidis for talks, the Arsenal manager said: “I’m staying here.”
Wenger was quick to reassure fans, who have organised petitions to keep him at the club, saying: “There is nothing to worry about. It is not an issue for me.”
The Gunners are determined to keep the most successful manager in their history - whose contract has two years left - while Perez had indicated he wanted a firm decision from Wenger by the end of the week.
Wenger has never walked out on a contract and now looks certain to stay on for two more years, the Daily Express reported.
His future had come under scrutiny like never before after his weekend comments that working with Perez would be an interesting project alongside his dismay over criticisms made at a shareholders’ meeting.
Wenger has built a promising young side and reached the Champions League again but has been unable to compete financially with the rest of the Big Four and even some other Premier League clubs.
Wenger has been frustrated at that, and would probably need triple the reported 13 million pound summer transfer fund some of which will go on Theo Walcott’s new contract as well as Robin van Persie’s proposed deal.
He wants experienced players, but needs more money, especially if striker Emmanuel Adebayor goes to either of the Milan clubs or to Chelsea. (ANI)
- Keep distance from Van Persie, Wenger tells Manchester City - Oct 01, 2011
- Fighting Arsenal bow out of Champions League - Mar 07, 2012
- Arsene fears more players will leave Arsenal - Sep 24, 2011
- Gunners, Barca in bitter bust up over footie wonderkid Toral - Feb 22, 2011
- Arsenal bent on wrecking Man U's unbeaten run: Walcott - Dec 10, 2010
- Wenger to get 55 million pounds for squad overhaul - Feb 20, 2012
- Mourinho jibes Wenger over Arsenal's protracted trophy drought - Nov 27, 2010
- Arsenal wants to bring in more players: Wenger - Jul 25, 2012
- Arsenal thrash Spurs to reclaim EPL fourth spot - Feb 26, 2012
- Arsenal's Wenger says UK Premier League title race not over - Apr 11, 2011
- Wilshere set to defy Wenger, wants to play Euro under 21 - Mar 31, 2011
- Defender Vermaelen signs new deal with Arsenal - Oct 19, 2011
- Lifting Carling Cup would end doubts about Arsenal, says Wenger - Feb 26, 2011
- Wenger turns down Real Madrid 40 m pound offer to commit to Arsenal - May 03, 2009
- Allow me to join Barcelona, Fabregas tells Wenger - Jul 18, 2011
Tags: arsenal boss arsene wenger, arsenal london, boss arsene wenger, champions league, clearest indication, daily express, dismay, emmanuel adebayor, gunners, ivan, milan clubs, money, new contract, petitions, premier league clubs, robin van persie, scrutiny, shareholders meeting, theo walcott