Wenger refuses to rule out switch to Real MadridMay 18th, 2009 - 6:00 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 18 (ANI): Arsenal’s coach Arsene Wenger has refused to rule out a summer switch to Spanish football giant Real Madrid.
The Gunners’ long-serving boss was coy when asked on French TV whether he had spoken to Madrid presidential candidate Florentino Perez.
Far from denying it, Wenger just said: “Please allow me to remain discreet on this matter.”
Perez is the overwhelming favourite to win next month’s presidential election at the Bernabeu.
“With Perez, the project will be greatly interesting for all the managers,” The Sun quoted Wenger, as saying.
Frenchman Wenger took over at Arsenal in September 1996 and has never walked out on a club before the end of his contract.
But this time, he would only say: “In general, I always go to the end of my contract.”
The report also claimed Wenger held a meeting with Perez in a hotel in Paris last Tuesday. But after the goalless draw with Manchester United on Saturday, Wenger insisted he was looking forward to challenging the Red Devils for the title next season.
Wenger has already told United boss Alex Ferguson: “We’ll be fighting you for the title next season.” (ANI)
- Fabregas is going to stay at Arsenal: Wenger - Jan 09, 2010
- Wenger to get 55 million pounds for squad overhaul - Feb 20, 2012
- 'Bad' game against Liverpool has left Man U in fight with Arsenal for Premier Legaue - Mar 10, 2011
- Wenger turns down Real Madrid 40 m pound offer to commit to Arsenal - May 03, 2009
- Wenger says his Arsenal future depends on his young side - Apr 04, 2010
- Arsenal's '2004 Invincibles' won't happen again: Ferguson - Dec 13, 2010
- Real Madrid reveals why its several talks failed to woo Wenger - Jun 06, 2009
- Wenger says next 18 months will decide his future with Arsenal - Jan 11, 2010
- Arsenal needs to work harder to end trophy drought: Wenger - Apr 21, 2011
- Arsenal won't end trophy drought this season: Redknapp - Apr 21, 2011
- Former Arsenal player asks Fabregas not to repeat his mistake of Braca move - May 25, 2010
- Ferguson asks Man U fans to stop Wenger jibes - Jan 30, 2010
- Real Madrid preparing 50 million pound swoop for Rooney - Oct 18, 2010
- Real Madrid to make 20 million pound bid for Vidic - Dec 30, 2009
- Gunners move to within two points of Premier League leader Chelsea - Nov 15, 2010
Tags: alex ferguson, arsenal, arsene wenger, bernabeu, boss, coach, french tv, frenchman, giant, gunners, hotel in paris, last tuesday, london, manchester united, presidential candidate, presidential election, real madrid, red devils, spanish football, summer switch