‘Wenger is staying at Arsenal’May 22nd, 2009 - 6:23 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 22 (ANI): Arsenal’s chief executive Ivan Gazidis has said that coach Arsene Wenger will not quit and has the full support of the club’s board.
Gunners boss Wenger has been linked with a move to Real Madrid after getting flak from fans following a fourth season without silverware.
Gazidis insisted: “He is clearly staying. We’ve said that, he said that. He has the full, unequivocal support of our board.”
The chief executive expects Wenger to see out the remaining two seasons of his contract and stay beyond that, The Sun reports.
“We’ve consistently said we would like him to remain involved with the club as long as he has the drive and the ambition to want to do that,” he said.
Wenger has been with Arsenal for nearly 13 years, but sparked speculation at the weekend by saying that coaching Real Madrid would be “obviously interesting.”
Gazidis admitted: “It does not surprise me clubs like Real Madrid would be interested in Arsene. He would be the most in-demand manager in the game internationally.”
Some shareholders rapped Wenger, 59, last week about Arsenal’s trophy drought and his failure to buy experienced players.
But Gazidis said he believes the Frenchman has the clear support “of the majority of our fans.” (ANI)
- Arsenal needs to work harder to end trophy drought: Wenger - Apr 21, 2011
- Wenger says trophy less Gunners will continue with youth policy - Apr 23, 2011
- Wenger to get 55 million pounds for squad overhaul - Feb 20, 2012
- Gunners, Barca in bitter bust up over footie wonderkid Toral - Feb 22, 2011
- Madrid eyes Wenger, Loew after fallout with Mourinho - Jan 25, 2012
- Podolski turns down riches to sign with Arsenal - Mar 09, 2012
- Arsenal wants to bring in more players: Wenger - Jul 25, 2012
- Allow me to join Barcelona, Fabregas tells Wenger - Jul 18, 2011
- Fabregas is going to stay at Arsenal: Wenger - Jan 09, 2010
- Wenger says his Arsenal future depends on his young side - Apr 04, 2010
- Mourinho jibes Wenger over Arsenal's protracted trophy drought - Nov 27, 2010
- Fighting Arsenal bow out of Champions League - Mar 07, 2012
- Arsenal won't end trophy drought this season: Redknapp - Apr 21, 2011
- Fabregas hints at staying at Arsenal - Feb 18, 2011
- Arsenal boss told to win a trophy as second or third isn't good enough - Oct 11, 2009
Tags: 13 years, ambition, arsenal london, boss, chief executive, coach, drought, failure, flak, frenchman, gunners, ivan, real madrid, s board, shareholders, speculation, sun reports, trophy, two seasons, unequivocal support