Wenger accuses referee of destroying Arsenal’s Champions League dreamMarch 9th, 2011 - 2:51 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 9 (ANI): Arsene Wenger was involved in two bust-ups after accusing the referee of destroying Arsenal’s Champions League dream.
Wenger clashed with referee Massimo Busacca in the tunnel at the end after he sent off striker Robin van Persie for kicking the ball one second after an offside whistle.
He confronted the referee again an hour later outside his changing room.
“How can you kill a football game like that? I just spoke to UEFA people and they were shocked. It killed a promising football match and what for?” The Sun quoted Wenger, as asking.
“If it is a bad tackle fair enough, but the way he did it was embarrassing when you love the game. Even if Robin heard the whistle, where have you seen someone sent off in a game like that? I do not understand the decision,” he added.
Lionell Messi scored two goals and help Barcelona beat Arsenal 3-1. (ANI)
- 'Referee almost hit Wenger after touchline row' - Mar 10, 2011
- Van Persie blasts "joke" referee for destroying Arsenal's Europe dream - Mar 09, 2011
- I don't even listen to what UEFA says: Wenger - Mar 18, 2011
- Wenger says gamble on Arshavin paid off in amazing style in historic defeat of Barca - Feb 17, 2011
- Barca ace Messi's double ensures Fergie's worst Champions League nightmare - Apr 28, 2011
- Footballers shouldn't be punished for 'f-word' abuse of officials: Wenger - Feb 04, 2011
- Arsenal wants to bring in more players: Wenger - Jul 25, 2012
- Arsenal has no plans to part with Fabregas, Wilshere: Wenger - Apr 24, 2011
- Fabregas will join Barcelona, predicts Messi - Feb 20, 2011
- Man U's Fletcher finally hits back at Wenger's 'anti-football' comment - Dec 12, 2010
- Wenger hits back at ex-Barcelona President's Fabregas remark - Feb 16, 2011
- Playing football more important to me than money or personal glory: Messi - Mar 28, 2010
- Van Persie likely to miss friendly match - Feb 29, 2012
- Champions League: Barcelona held by Milan, Arsenal by Dortmund - Sep 14, 2011
- Keep distance from Van Persie, Wenger tells Manchester City - Oct 01, 2011