Wenger a “magician” in building champion squads, says Gunners legend AdamsFebruary 24th, 2010 - 4:26 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 24 (ANI): Arsenal legend Tony Adams has saluted boss Arsene Wenger as a genius in preparing players physically and in building squads
Adams said Wenger is a “magician” in building champion squads, but said Wenger’s young players have a long way to go to match his Invincibles.
“Arsene for me is a physiologist. He is a magician in that field, bio-mechanically assessing players, fitness or whether they are ready to play. I think that’s where his forte is. In preparation of professional athletes he’s second to none,” The Sun quoted Adams, as saying.
The former England centre-back believes Wenger’s 14 years in charge have transformed Arsenal and eclipsed the great work of predecessor George Graham.
“It’s amazing what Arsene has done so George’s achievements can be over-shadowed,” Adams said.
The ex-Portsmouth chief hailed Wenger for the way he regenerates Arsenal’s squad every few years. But Adams thinks the present crop have an awesome task if they are to rival the icons of a decade ago.
He said: “I had lunch with Patrick Vieira just before Christmas. One of the best squads we ever had was the 1998 squad - we were saying that we should have done more. We should have done that Double in 1999, the year Man Utd won the Treble.
“That squad was such a good squad. OK, we won the Double again in 2002 but after ‘98 we should have gone on and done 1999, 2000, 2001.”
Adams, who quit playing in 2002, admires Wenger’s ability to build a free-flowing team top-heavy in stylish footballers. (ANI)
- Viera reveals how he almost joined Ajax instead of Arsenal - Feb 07, 2010
- Arsenal wants to bring in more players: Wenger - Jul 25, 2012
- Wenger to get 55 million pounds for squad overhaul - Feb 20, 2012
- Wenger vows to fight on - Aug 29, 2011
- Arsenal's second place in Premier League 'not a disaster': Wenger - Apr 09, 2011
- Arsenal's key players seem to be cracking up: Petit - Mar 14, 2011
- Keep distance from Van Persie, Wenger tells Manchester City - Oct 01, 2011
- Wenger fears striker Eduardo can be asked to leave Arsenal - Apr 30, 2010
- Defender Vermaelen signs new deal with Arsenal - Oct 19, 2011
- Hulk in no hurry for move to Man U - Jan 05, 2010
- For f***'s sake, World Cup is next year: Wenger - Nov 24, 2009
- Arsenal puts astronomical 80 million pound 'road-block' price for Fabregas - May 25, 2010
- Wenger ridicules Blatter's take on racism - Nov 19, 2011
- Wenger confirms Thierry Henry's return - Dec 30, 2011
- Podolski agrees to terms with Arsenal - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: arsenal, boss arsene wenger, champion, christmas, decade, fitness, genius, gunners, london feb, lunch, magician, man utd, patrick vieira, physiologist, portsmouth, predecessor, professional athletes, second to none, top heavy, treble