‘We’ll restore ice hocky team lost in plane crash’September 9th, 2011 - 4:01 pm ICT by IANS
Yaroslavl (Russia), Sep 9 (IANS/RIA-Novosti) Russian ice hockey players have volunteered to restore the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl team which almost entirely perished in a plane crash, a source close to the club said Thursday.
The new team would take part in this year’s Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) championship, which was supposed to start on the day of the crash Wednesday, said the source, following a decision at a meeting Thursday morning between the Yaroslavl region governor and the KHL delegation.
The Lokomotiv team, founded in 1949, is one of Russia’s leading hockey teams. It included players and coaches from ten countries.
So far at least 30 players from other clubs, most of whom are former Lokomotiv players or Yaroslavl locals, have volunteered to represent Lokomotiv, the source said.
A Yak-42 chartered by the Lokomotiv team crashed just after takeoff near Yaroslavl Wednesday afternoon, when the team was heading to Belarussian capital Minsk for the season opener against Dinamo Minsk.
All team members but one were killed. Russian player Alexander Galimov is one of the only two survivors but was critical due to severe burns.
- Poor quality fuel cause of Russian plane crash? - Sep 08, 2011
- Sole survivor of Russian plane crash regains consciousness - Sep 13, 2011
- Russia grounds eight planes after deadly crash - Sep 10, 2011
- Ice hockey coach banned for trying to attack crowd - Nov 08, 2011
- Yaroslavl ice hockey team wiped out in plane crash - Sep 08, 2011
- Pilots blamed for Russian plane crash that killed 44 - Nov 02, 2011
- Russian ice-hockey plane crash survivor dies in hospital - Sep 12, 2011
- Russia grounds six airlines - Sep 26, 2011
- Russian city remembers plane crash victims - Sep 08, 2012
- Former NHL players feared dead in Russian plane crash - Sep 07, 2011
- Kombarov to replace Zhirkov: Capello - Sep 06, 2012
- Russian jet makes emergency landing - Sep 09, 2011
- Rubin extends contract with Sharonov - Aug 19, 2012
- 31 die, 12 survive in Russian plane crash (Second Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Passenger plane carrying ice hockey team crashes in western Russia, killing 43 - Sep 07, 2011
Tags: dinamo minsk, hockey league, hockey players, hockey teams, khl, kontinental, lokomotiv yaroslavl, plane crash, ria novosti, russian ice hockey, russian player, sak, season opener, severe burns, takeoff, thursday morning, vm, wednesday afternoon, yak 42, yaroslavl region