Welbeck on wonder goal: I knew it was comingJune 16th, 2012 - 5:21 pm ICT by IANS
Kiev, June 16 (IANS/RIA Novosti) England striker Danny Welbeck had practised the pirouette back-flick that gave his country a vital 3-2 win over Sweden in Friday’s Euro 2012 Group D clash.
Welbeck struck on 78th minute when Theo Walcott’s cross was played slightly behind the Manchester United man.
He span around, flicking the ball with his trailing leg in one fluid motion as he went.
The ball rolled into the far corner, leaving England just one point against the co-hosts Ukraine away from the quarter-finals.
“I am really happy to get the winning goal, but the main thing is to get the three points for the whole team and it sets us up nicely going into the Ukraine game,” Welbeck said Saturday.
The 21-year-old confessed to having spent time on the training ground rehearsing the flair move.
“Once the chance comes around in training, you try it, you have to try different things, just hit the ball into the back of the net, so once it came today I already knew what I was going to do.”
Welbeck partnered Andy Carroll up front in a makeshift lineup due to Wayne Rooney’s absence through suspension.
His Old Trafford strike partner is back for the Ukraine decider, meaning it is likely one of them will be relegated to the bench.
“It is football,” Welbeck said. “We know all the quality Wayne possesses and he is a world-class striker.”
“The whole team is happy he is going to play again. It is going to benefit us.”
England coach Roy Hodgson heaped praise on Welbeck for his backheel flick.
“It was a very clever finish with a type of pirouette that made it made it very difficult for the goalkeeper,” Hodgson said.
“It was a goal, in my opinion, that was very worthy of winning the game.”
The goal was the 21-year-old Welbeck’s first competitive goal for England and his second for the national team after scoring against Belgium at Wembley earlier this month.
- Euro 2012: Hodgson praises 'clever' Welbeck winner - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden - Jun 16, 2012
- Time running out for England's Golden Generation: Hodgson - Jun 16, 2012
- Walcott surprised by his own Roanldo dip - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Rooney to play against Ukraine, says coach - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: England win over Ukraine - Jun 20, 2012
- Euro 2012: Sweden coach blames bad luck for defeat to England - Jun 16, 2012
- Ukraine 'horror stories' deterred fans, says Hodgson - Jun 20, 2012
- Carroll hails 'great' England - Jun 16, 2012
- Rooney 'delighted' to score winner against Ukraine - Jun 20, 2012
- England announce 23-man squad for Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
- Set pieces crucial to beating England: Shevchenko - Jun 16, 2012
- Bertrand signs long-term contract with Chelsea - Sep 05, 2012
- Mellberg rues cheap goals as Sweden exit - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: back of the net, decider, different things, england coach, euro 2012, far corner, fluid motion, goalkeeper, manchester united, pirouette, quarter finals, ria novosti, roy hodgson, striker, theo walcott, wayne rooney, welbeck, wembley, winning the game, wonder goal