Weightlifting federation selects Monika Devi for OlympicsJuly 15th, 2008 - 10:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 15 (IANS) Indian Weightlifting Federation (IWF) Tuesday unanimously selected L. Monika Devi ahead of Shailaja Pujari for the next month’s Beijing Olympics. Monika was selected after a selection trial in Bangalore, resting all allegations of bribery in the selection. Monika won a silver and two bronze in the Asian Championships in Japan in April-May to help book the berth for India, and will compete in the 69kg category. Shailaja (75kg) has been named as the reserve lifter.
“Monika was chosen unanimously by the selection committee. Everything from performance in the trials to past records was taken into consideration by the selection committee,” IWF general secretary B.R. Gulati told IANS.
“Dev Dutt Sharma will accompany Monika as coach in Beijing,” he added. But Sharma’s selection as coach was also against the sports ministry’s directive that a woman coach should accompany a woman lifter to Beijing.
Earlier, Monika and Shailaja were shortlisted for the final selection after trials in Pune June 29. It was followed by allegations of bribery to select Shailaja.
This led to the intervention of the ministry which asked the IWF to shift the repeat trial venue from Pune to Patiala. But the federation shifted the venue of trials to Bangalore.
- Indian lifters sure of winning 'dope-free' medals at CWG (Weightlifting preview) - Oct 03, 2010
- Two Indian weighlifters fail dope test, risk life ban - Oct 12, 2009
- Third lifter fails dope test, Indian federation in soup - Oct 13, 2009
- IOA sets up panel to look into weightlifters' doping cases - Oct 15, 2009
- Indian weightlifter out of Olympics team protests innocence - Aug 06, 2008
- CWG Weightlifting: Coach optimistic of gold in remaining weight categories (Interview) - Oct 05, 2010
- Weightlifter Harpreet banned for testing positive - Jul 24, 2008
- Olympic lifting champion Liao Hui fails dope test, banned - Nov 18, 2011
- We are not here to make up the numbers: Weightlifting coach - Jul 19, 2012
- B.P. Baishya new IWF president - Dec 27, 2009
- CWG weightlifting: Dey and Rao add a silver and bronze to the kitty (RoundUp) - Oct 04, 2010
- Malleswari wants IWF secretary sacked - Jul 25, 2010
- CGOC bails out Weightlifting body with interest-free loan - Aug 26, 2010
- After failing dope test, Indian weightlifter Monika withdrawn from Beijing contingent - Aug 06, 2008
- Tearful Monica pleads innocence, says she has been framed (Lead) - Aug 06, 2008
Tags: allegations, asian championships, bangalore, beijing olympics, berth, bribery, final selection, general secretary, gulati, iwf, june 29, lifter, New Delhi, patiala, pujari, pune, selection committee, selection trial, sports ministry, weightlifting