Weightlifter Harpreet banned for testing positiveJuly 24th, 2008 - 10:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 24 (IANS) The Indian Weightlifting Federation (IWF) Thursday banned Harpreet Singh, who tested positive for a banned substance nandrolone. The Punjab weightlifter, in the 85 kg category, is the third lifter to test positive in four months. Harpreet was practising at the Army Sports Institute in Pune for the Commonwealth Youth Games and has been banned with immediate effect.
“We have been informed that Harpreet has tested positive for a banned substance and he has been banned with immediate effect. Random samples were collected from the lifters who were training at ASI and after tests at SAI laboratory it was confirmed that Harpreet has tested positive. He will have the right to appeal to get his ‘B’ sample tested,” IWF general secretary B.R. Gulati told IANS.
If Harpreet’s ‘B’ sample tests positive he will be banned for two years.
Harpreet was training under Deodutt Sharma, who was recently named by the IWF as the Olympic coach. But pressure from the sports ministry forced the national body to replace Sharma with former international Anita Chanu as Monika Devi’s coach at the Beijing Games.
Harpreet’s positive testing is the third case in four months after Kavita Devi and Paritosh Upadhyay.
“It is very difficult to stop cases of doping in power sports like weightlifting. We are taking appropriate steps but it will take some time to curb this evil,” said Gulati.
- Indian lifters sure of winning 'dope-free' medals at CWG (Weightlifting preview) - Oct 03, 2010
- IOA sets up panel to look into weightlifters' doping cases - Oct 15, 2009
- Two Indian weighlifters fail dope test, risk life ban - Oct 12, 2009
- Third lifter fails dope test, Indian federation in soup - Oct 13, 2009
- We are not here to make up the numbers: Weightlifting coach - Jul 19, 2012
- CWG Weightlifting: Coach optimistic of gold in remaining weight categories (Interview) - Oct 05, 2010
- Sports ministry says 103 Indian players have failed doping tests - Sep 12, 2010
- Olympic lifting champion Liao Hui fails dope test, banned - Nov 18, 2011
- Two CWG gold medallists in weightlifting squad for Asian Games - Oct 21, 2010
- Indian weightlifter out of Olympics team protests innocence - Aug 06, 2008
- Weightlifting federation selects Monika Devi for Olympics - Jul 15, 2008
- CWG weightlifting: Dey and Rao add a silver and bronze to the kitty (RoundUp) - Oct 04, 2010
- B-samples of swimmers, athletes also positive - Sep 08, 2010
- IOA to conduct fresh elections for IWF - Nov 17, 2009
- Weightlifting body hopes government will bail them out (Lead) - Aug 17, 2010
Tags: army sports, chanu, commonwealth youth games, four months, general secretary, gulati, harpreet singh, iwf, lifter, lifters, olympic coach, paritosh, power sports, pune, random samples, sports institute, sports ministry, substance nandrolone, weightlifting, will take some time