Webber secures elusive win in Brazil, Force India end season on a highNovember 28th, 2011 - 1:52 am ICT by IANS
Sao Paulo (Brazil), Nov 28 (IANS) Red Bull’s Mark Webber won his first race of the Formula One season in the Brazilian Grand Prix here Sunday, while Force India ended the year on a high with Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta finishing sixth and eighth at the Interlagos Circuit.
Already declared World Champion Sebastian Vettel was in the lead until Lap 30 from the record pole position but a gearbox problem in his Red Bull forced him to make way for teammate Webber.
The Australian eventually crossed the chequred flag 16.9 seconds faster than Vettel. Jenson Button got his McLaren home in third place, ensuring him a second place in the drivers’ standings with 270 points in 19 races.
Vettel had bagged the title in Japan but the battle for the second and third went right down to the last race. A win for Weber here puts him third in the standings with 258 points, only one more than Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso.
Button’s teamate Lewish Hamilton, who retired from the 71-Lap race due to a gearbox failure, rounded up the top five on 227 points.
Force India achieved their best result since their inception in 2008 by finishing sixth in the Constructor’s Championship with Sutil securing the ninth place and di Resta coming 13th in the drivers’ standings. The team finished at seventh place in 2010.
Sutil and di Resta’s impressive result from eighth and 11th grid position meant the Silverstone-based team completed a double points finish only for the fourth time in the season after Australia, Singapore and Abu Dhabi.
- Vettel wins Singapore GP, Force India record season's best result - Sep 25, 2011
- Vettel races to another victory, Sutil finishes 9th at European GP - Jun 26, 2011
- Italian GP: Di Resta's 8th place puts Force India ahead of Sauber - Sep 11, 2011
- Vettel claims another pole, Sutil sneaks into 10th at European GP - Jun 25, 2011
- Vettel takes pole in Japan, Force India to start from sixth row - Oct 08, 2011
- Vettel breaks pole record in season finale, Sutil to start 8th - Nov 27, 2011
- Force India disappoint, Vettel wins Spanish Grand Prix - May 22, 2011
- Vettel equals pole record in Abu Dhabi, Force India secure top-10 finish - Nov 12, 2011
- No points for Force India, Karthikeyan 21st at Turkish GP - May 08, 2011
- Hamilton wins Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, both Force Indias in top-10 - Nov 13, 2011
- Vettel wins maiden Monaco Grand Prix, Force India seventh - May 30, 2011
- Chinese GP: Rosberg takes maiden F1 pole, Force India out of top-10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Hamilton takes pole in Malaysian GP, Force India disappoint - Mar 24, 2012
- Vettel wins Belgian Grand Prix, Sutil seventh - Aug 28, 2011
- Button wins Australian GP, Force India's Di Resta gets a point - Mar 18, 2012
Tags: abu dhabi, adrian sutil, chequred flag, constructor, fernando alonso, force india, formula one, gearbox, grid position, impressive result, interlagos circuit, jenson button, lap race, mark webber, pole position, red bull, sao paulo brazil, sebastian vettel, teamate, world champion