Webber disappointed over Canadian GP’s mechanical and tyre problemsJune 15th, 2010 - 6:12 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 15(ANI): Red Bull Formula One racing driver Mark Webber has expressed disappointment after mechanical problems and a tyre raffle robbed him of the championship drivers’ standing lead.
Webber had crashed out of last month’s Turkish Grand Prix and finished fifth in Sunday’s Canadian Grand Prix, while McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton won both races.
It means that he has now dropped from the outright lead to six points behind Hamilton and three behind McLaren’s Jenson Button.
“Tyres played a huge role in the race today and, in the end, we did the best we could. I have mixed emotions after the penalty this morning. I had a good first few laps at the start, but that took its toll on the first set of tyres, so I needed to pit a little earlier than I would have liked,” Stuff.co.nz quoted Webber, as saying.
“In the second stint I was ahead and was monitoring the gap to Lewis. I was moving away a bit at the start, as he was pacing to get to the finish. I was trying to keep my pace constant but in the end the tyres didn’t want that pace and they go away from you - it’s virtually, impossible to keep the tyres from degrading here, no matter how slow you drive,” he added.
Webber further said that he is hoping for a better display to grab back his lead at the European Grand Prix in Valencia on June 27.”In the end it wasn’t really a surprise to come back out from my second pit-stop in fifth, as I knew people in front had been packed up tightly behind Lewis. We then turned the car down to save it for the next race,” he added. (ANI)
- Canadian GP: Hamilton 7th different winner in 2012 - Jun 11, 2012
- German GP: Alonso cruises to season's third win - Jul 22, 2012
- Vettel wins a near perfect race, Sutil finishes ninth (Roundup) - Oct 30, 2011
- Vettel wins Bahrain GP, Force India's Di Resta finishes sixth - Apr 23, 2012
- McLaren must bounce back in Germany: Prost - Jul 16, 2012
- Red Bull's Vettel wins Australian Grand Prix - Mar 27, 2011
- Hamilton eyes victories in Abu Dhabi, Brazil - Nov 06, 2011
- Vettel wins Belgian Grand Prix, Sutil seventh - Aug 28, 2011
- Button fastest in rain-hit German Grand Prix first practice - Jul 20, 2012
- Hamilton glides to Monza victory - Sep 09, 2012
- Button wins in chaotic Belgian GP - Sep 02, 2012
- Red Bull's Vettel wins Malaysian Grand Prix - Apr 10, 2011
- Vettel races to another victory, Sutil finishes 9th at European GP - Jun 26, 2011
- Hamilton wins Chinese Grand Prix to end Vettel's winning streak - Apr 17, 2011
- New venues invariably slotted at end - Oct 25, 2011
Tags: canadian gp, canadian grand prix, disappointment, formula one racing, gap, jenson button, laps, lewis hamilton, mark webber, mclaren, mechanical problems, mixed emotions, pit stop, raffle, red bull formula one, s lewis, second stint, six points, tyre, tyres