Weather hits West Indies again, only 18 overs possibleMay 7th, 2012 - 4:37 pm ICT by IANS
Hove (England), May 7 (IANS/CMC) The West Indies endured another miserable day on their tour of England when only 18 overs were possible on the scheduled second day of the rain-ravaged three-day tour match against Sussex here.
After rain, resulting in a wet outfield, forced a late start Sunday at the Probiz County Ground, the West Indies struggled to 46 for two before bad light and then rain ensured there was no further play.
Saturday’s opening day was abandoned without a ball bowled because of heavy overnight and early morning rain.
At the close, left-handed opener Kieran Powell was unbeaten on 19 with fellow left-hander Darren Bravo on one.
Sent in, Powell and Adrian Barath put on 24 in bleak conditions before Sussex grabbed the breakthrough.
The right-handed Barath struck two fours off 30 balls before he fell to the final ball of seamer Kirk Wernars’ first over after deflecting a delivery onto his stumps.
Powell then put on a further 21 for the second wicket with Kirk Edwards who was dropped before he had scored off the second ball he faced, as Luke Wells at second slip muffed the chance off left-arm seamer Chris Liddle.
The West Indies started the match with 11 available players with Narsingh Deonarine and Assad Fudadin remained stuck in Jamaica with UK visa problems and Marlon Samuel still en route from India where he has been competing in the Indian Premier League.
Fast bowler Fidel Edwards was rested as he recovers from injury.
- Little play for Windies as rain dents preparation - May 08, 2012
- Sammy keeps eyes on the skies as Windies face Lions - May 10, 2012
- Samuels to join Windies squad in England - May 08, 2012
- Bishoo dropped, in-form batsman Fudadin gets the nod - Apr 20, 2012
- Edwards out, Ramdin returns as Windies vice captain - Jul 23, 2012
- No Bravo for warm-up match against Black Caps - Jul 15, 2012
- Deonarine, Fudadin cleared to travel; Samuels arrives - May 09, 2012
- West Indies look for confidence booster in tour match - Jun 02, 2012
- Pacer Gabriel in West Indies squad for England - Apr 28, 2012
- India A lose to West Indies A - Jun 28, 2012
- Deonarine finally cleared for UK travel - May 10, 2012
- Edwards replaces Rampaul for Jamaica Test - Jul 31, 2012
- First day washout dents West Indies' preparations - May 06, 2012
- Samuels, Ramdin hold West Indies together - Jun 10, 2012
- Windies top order exposed as Australia take charge - Apr 17, 2012
Tags: assad, barath, bleak conditions, early morning rain, fidel edwards, kieran, left arm, left hander, liddle, narsingh deonarine, opening day, outfield, probiz, seamer, stumps, two fours, uk visa, visa problems, west indies, wicket