We were disciplined for brutal Euro 2012 opener: LoewJune 10th, 2012 - 2:01 pm ICT by IANS
Lviv (Ukraine), June 10 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Germany coach Joachim Low took Saturday’s 1-0 win over Portugal any way it came, because the brutal nature of the tournament means there is no time to find your feet, he said.
Mario Gomez struck in the 74th minute to give the Germans three points in their Euro 2012 opener in Lviv.
“The start of the Euros is like a Formula One race, but without the practice,” he said.
Meeting high-quality opponents in the very first game, unlike in the 32-team World Cup, has a jarring effect on the team and puts a greater premium on grinding out a result regardless of the quality of play, Low said.
“There is no game, like in the World Cup, where you can acclimatize yourself.”
Moreover, the teams had the added pressure of knowing Denmark had pulled off a surprise 1-0 win over the Netherlands earlier Saturday, increasing both teams’ incentive to pull away from the Dutch, he said.
Germany were “disciplined” and “compact” in defence, Low said, despite Portugal’s Pepe having found enough room in the box to place a 45th-minute strike against the crossbar.
“Of course, we could have attacked better.”
Low singled out right-back Jerome Boateng for his excellence in keeping Cristiano Ronaldo relatively quiet down the left flank.
The win takes the Germans joint top of the group after Denmark’s surprise 1-0 win over the Netherlands earlier Saturday.
Germany face the Netherlands next Wednesday, with Denmark playing Portugal.
- Germany's Gomez got lucky: Portugal coach - Jun 10, 2012
- Germany beats Portugal 1-0 in Euro 2012 - Jun 10, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany beat Danes to set up Greece quarterfinal - Jun 18, 2012
- Euro 2012: Portugal steal 3-2 win over Danes - Jun 14, 2012
- Germany must improve: Man of Match Ozil - Jun 10, 2012
- Low expects defensive Greece in quarters - Jun 18, 2012
- Germany's Gomez breaks deadlock for win over Portugal (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Euro 2012 Group B Preview: Many challenges in Group of Death - Jun 05, 2012
- Denmark cooking up sensation for Germany: Eriksen - Jun 17, 2012
- Champions League defeat a thing of past: Thomas Muller - Jun 08, 2012
- Euro 2012: Portugal beating Denmark a 'just' result, says coach - Jun 14, 2012
- Denmark defeat was like a bad movie: Robben - Jun 10, 2012
- Euro 2012: Olsen rues lost penalty as Denmark crash out - Jun 18, 2012
- Germans jittery but fully fit for Euro 2012 - Jun 08, 2012
- Portugal calm despite win-or-bust Denmark test - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: brutal nature, crossbar, denmark, euro 2012, first game, formula one, germans, high quality, jarring effect, joachim low, left flank, lviv ukraine, mario gomez, netherlands, portugal, quality opponents, ria novosti, rn, ronaldo, world cup