We should support Dhoni and team, says KapilJanuary 20th, 2012 - 5:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 20 (IANS) India’s legendary all-rounder Kapil Dev said Friday that under-fire cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni deserves to be backed as long as he leads the side.
“Dhoni is our captain and we should support him. The team needs our support,” said Kapil, who famously led India to its maiden World cup triumph in 1983.
Dhoni, who also gave India its second World Cup victory in 2011 after 25 years, has hit a rough patch. The team suffered a 0-4 whitewash in England, where it was also dislodged from its No.1 Test status.
Dhoni’s defensive captaincy in the Test series in Australia has been severely criticised. India are also trailing 0-3 in the Border Gavaskar Trophy and are on a seven-away Test losing streak.
The India captain has also performed poorly with the bat scoring just 133 runs at an average of 16.5 in his last eight innings. Dhoni has also hinted that he may retire from the longer version of the game by 2013 keeping in mind the 2015 World Cup.
Kapil said it was time for fans to back the team.
“Yes, India have played very badly and we are all unhappy, but let’s talk about them only after the series,” Kapil said.
- Kapil ashamed but says time to back India team (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Gavaskar inducted into ICC Cricket Hall of Fame - Feb 09, 2012
- Dhoni not interested in Test cricket: Ganguly - Jan 13, 2012
- Kapil wants Sachin to retire immediately - Feb 20, 2012
- Indians were not prepared to deal with England: Kapil - Aug 28, 2011
- Hometown Ranchi prays for Dhoni's performance - Aug 10, 2011
- Dhoni in no rush to phase out seniors - Jan 28, 2012
- India can emerge as world champions if players play to potential: Kapil Dev - Jan 28, 2011
- Confident Dhoni fashions India's World Cup triumph - Apr 03, 2011
- Players' choice to play for country or club: Kapil Dev - May 29, 2011
- India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni turns 30 - Jul 07, 2011
- Dhoni, Bindra to don olive green from Tuesday - Oct 31, 2011
- Tendulkar, Dhoni to fly in Sukhoi combat jets - Jun 30, 2011
- Be aggressive as captain, ruthless as batsman, Kapil Dev tells Dhoni - Feb 07, 2011
- Music composers dedicate their tunes to boost Team India's confidence - Feb 20, 2011
Tags: australia, border gavaskar trophy, cricket captain, england, game, India, kapil, losing streak, mahendra singh dhoni, New Delhi, rough patch, rounder, test series, test status, whitewash, world cup triumph, world cup victory