We need to start our Olympic preparation now: NobbsFebruary 27th, 2012 - 1:22 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 26 (IANS) India hockey coach Michael Nobbs said the team’s preparation for the 2012 London Olympics started Sunday with a 8-1 in over France in the final of the qualifiers.
“We have done every single thing possible before the tournament and I am happy we delivered. We were confident but still the job needed to be done. We need to start our Olympic preparation now. The boys will take some rest deservingly and then we will implement the whole plan starting from fitness, nutrition and focus on the things which we have done right here,” said Nobbs after India won at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium.
Nobbs said there will be a series of international tours to prepare the team.
“There will be a line of tours and tournaments coming up and we will have to do well. We have played all the matches from right to finish with the same intensity and that is what we would look to continue, playing with high intensity,” he said.
The Australian said the qualifiers helped the team shape better.
“It was a very important tournament because we needed to qualify for the Olympics, change our style and show that this team is worthy of admiration and respect. We have a new breed of team, a very happy team, there is no bickering, no politics and the team is playing as a unit. I don’t want to set any targets. These are early days. I know if I get five years time, we can win the gold,” he said.
Star drag-flicker Sandeep Singh, who slammed in five goals, said he worked on his variations.
“I had kept a view variations which I though I would use in the finals and it came off very well. This is not the end. I have to score more goals. It is a process where we have to improve step by step as we enter into the Olympics,” he said.
“Now we have to play well against bigger and better teams, it is a great feeling to score 16 goals. I would like to carry the momentum as we progress further,” he said.
- I don't have a fixed starting XI: Nobbs - Feb 16, 2012
- I have a plan to hoodwink the Europeans: Drag-flicker Sandeep Singh (Interview) - Jun 30, 2012
- Hockey camp to focus on fitness, strength: Nobbs - Mar 12, 2012
- India's dragflickers grateful to Jugraj for improving penalty corner conversion rate - Feb 12, 2012
- We have to be the best in the world: Nobbs - Feb 25, 2012
- Hockey Olympic qualifier: Final can be tight, but India should win (Preview) - Feb 26, 2012
- India aim to win against Poland: Nobbs - Feb 23, 2012
- Nobbs vows to carry on as India's hockey coach - Aug 14, 2012
- Olympic hockey qualifiers: Indian men, women in finals (Roundup) - Feb 25, 2012
- Raghunath confident of getting back into India team - Jun 18, 2011
- India's men's and women's hockey teams chasing Olympic dream - Feb 17, 2012
- Players' obsession is only to win: Hockey coach Michael Nobbs - Jun 17, 2012
- Dilip Tirkey's presence at camp is a boon: Sandeep Singh - Feb 07, 2012
- We are improving with each game: Nobbs (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: India gear up for New Zealand - May 23, 2012
Tags: 2012 london olympics, admiration, dhyan chand, fitness nutrition, flicker, gold, high intensity, hockey coach, India, momentum, new breed, New Delhi, olympics, qualify for the olympics, sandeep singh, single thing, star drag, targets, team shape, variations