We need to invest in youth: Italy’s losing captainJune 26th, 2010 - 10:11 am ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, June 26 (IANS/AKI) Crashed out of the soccer World Cup following a 2-3 defeat against Slovakia, defending champions Italy have been facing flak for being the team of “old” footballers.
Fabio Cannavaro, captain of the disgraced team, said the former world champions need to improve their talent pool or risk continuing to struggle in international as well as in domestic tournaments.
“I think there are not many changes we can make. At the moment, Italy is not producing players like in my generation when we had great players,” he said Friday.
“It’s not just the national team, it’s the clubs. We have good players but not top drawer. I’ve been saying for a while that the system has to change. We have to invest in youth.”
Critics said the Italian players were too old to be contenders for the cup but only a few had expected the first-round elimination of the four-time winner.
The Azzurri were forced out of the tornament after losing its Thursday’s match to Slovakia. The team finished bottom of their group for the first time ever following 1-1 draws with Paraguay and New Zealand.
Italy’s coach Marcello Lippi announced after the match that he would take a break from football for several months.
Cannavaro, 36, who led Italy to the World Cup glory four years ago, also announced his retirement from international football.
Having signed a two-year deal with Al-Ahli Dubai, the Juventus defender is set to move to the United Arab Emirates this summer.
- World Cup: Italian fans greet losing team with jeers - Jun 27, 2010
- Italy's coach to take a break from football - Jun 25, 2010
- World Cup flops Italy receive friendly welcome home - Jun 26, 2010
- Can Italy defend the World cup tile? (Group F team profile) - May 31, 2010
- Lippi's list of 23 Azzurri ready for World Cup - Jun 02, 2010
- World Cup elimination cost Italy 140 mn euros - Jun 27, 2010
- New Zealand hold champs Italy to 1-1 draw (Lead) - Jun 20, 2010
- Stuttering champions Italy face tough opener - Jun 13, 2010
- World Cup exit: Italian minister slams 'luxury immigrants' - Jun 25, 2010
- Slovakia a new symbol of defeat for downcast Italy - Jun 25, 2010
- In-form Mexico beat still unfit Italy - Jun 04, 2010
- All Whites happy with spoiler role against Italy - Jun 19, 2010
- Minister slams 'luxury immigrants' after Azzurris' World Cup exit - Jun 25, 2010
- Play it again Marcello, say world champions Italy (Team Profile) - Nov 30, 2009
- Allegations of bribery hit Italy team ahead of do or die clash - Jun 24, 2010
Tags: aki, al ahli, coach marcello lippi, contenders, fabio cannavaro, flak, footballers, hvb, international football, italian players, johannesburg, marcello lippi, slovakia, soccer world cup, talent pool, time winner, top drawer, united arab emirates, world champions, world cup glory