We laid stress on players’ fitness, says SrikkanthJune 7th, 2010 - 10:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jun 7 (IANS) Chairman of selection committee Krishnamachari Srikkanth hinted Monday that Yuvraj Singh was dropped from 15-man Asia Cup cricket squad due to lack of fitness.
“A lot of stress was given on the fitness of a player. Fitness and fielding are very important. We have gone through the record of last one year and did a detailed analysis. It was a lovely discussion with the captain. This is the best possible squad and I think the captain is also convinced,” Srikkanth said.
“This is the best possible side…I’m not going to speak about any individual player,” Srikkanth told reporters here Monday.
Fitness has been a problem with some of the Indian players, especially Rohit Sharm and Yuvraj, who seemed to have gained weight of late.
Srikkanth said fitness was one the main criteria while consistency was another in the selection process.
“In recent past, we lost some matches or struggled in some matches because of poor fielding. So the selectors put lot of stress on fielding, ” he said.
“We also put stress on consistent performance. Lot of players have done consistently well and apart from the seniors, we blooded some youngsters as well so that they know what international cricket is all about,” he said.
Srikknath went on to add that India’s shocking loss at the hands of Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka was not a setback.
“I think it was all for the good in the sense that it allowed us to test the youngsters. How else do you test the youngsters? People say our selection backfired but how? We wanted to know how good some of the youngsters are and know who are good enough to play in the next level and who all need some more time,” Srikkanth said.
“Some people have this habit of blaming the selectors when things go wrong but ultimately it’s the players who go out and play. After the current selection committee took over, India became number one Test team and number two in ODIs. I think as selectors, we made our little bit contribution.”
“Don’t get carried away by one or two series. If we became the number one Test team, the process began in 2005 when we started winning abroad under Sourav Ganguly and then had Rahul Dravid and Anil Kumble. It’s all about a process,” he said.
- Ganguly 'surprised' at Yuvraj's recall - Aug 10, 2012
- Indian Test squad chosen from the future point of view: Srikkanth - Oct 29, 2011
- Yuvraj returns for T20 World Cup, Harbhajan recalled (Second Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Fitness will be properly scrutinised: Srikkanth - Sep 29, 2011
- Sehwag not dropped, Kohli excellent future captain: Srikkanth - Feb 29, 2012
- Batting failure caused debacle in Australia: Srikkanth - Jan 15, 2012
- Selectors pick three spinners for India's World Cup squad (Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- Rohit out, Chawla in: No other surprises in World Cup squad (Second Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- Nobody to be blamed for India's performance: Srikkanth - Aug 14, 2011
- Ashwin in Indian team, Harbhajan kept out - Oct 29, 2011
- I am willing to own up for the Nagpur loss: Srikkanth - Feb 10, 2010
- Yuvraj included in World T20 preliminary squad - Jul 18, 2012
- Dravid back in ODI squad after two years (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- India have a strong bench strength: Srikkanth (Lead) - Dec 25, 2009
- Series victory shows India's strong bench strength: Srikkanth - Dec 25, 2009
Tags: asia cup cricket, bit co, consistency, consistent performance, habit, international cricket, man asia, New Delhi, next level, odis, selection committee, selection process, selectors, setback, sharm, shocking loss, srikkanth, test team, youngsters, yuvraj singh