We have no hand in selecting Dow: UK ministerApril 20th, 2012 - 4:00 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 20 (IANS) A British minister Friday said his country’s government had no hand in selecting Dow Chemical Co. as a sponsor of the London Olympic Games.
“Selecting the sponsor is a prerogative of the Games organisers and the government has nothing to do with that. We have absolutely no hand in getting them as a sponsor,” Gregory Barker, minister of state for energy and climate change (UK), said on the sidelines of a programme here.
He was in the city to participate in the ‘Fiscal Instruments for Low Carbon Business’, a programme organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
Ever since the International Olympic Committee (IOC) inked a 10-year deal with Dow, there have been demonstrations and protests across India and abroad with many urging the Indian government to boycott the 2012 London Olympic Games.
Dow had bought the Union Carbide India Ltd. 16 years after a gas leak in its plant caused the world’s worst industrial disaster in Bhopal Dec 3, 1984.
While the Indian government has written to the IOC asking it to drop ties with Dow, the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has threatened to withdraw from the Games if no action is taken.
The 1984 Bhopal gas tragedy claimed 15,000 lives and affected millions of people.
- IOC defends Dow, IOA doesn't agree (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- IOA president asks IOC to remove Dow as Olympics sponsor - Dec 20, 2011
- IOC defends Dow, will remain Olympic sponsor - Feb 16, 2012
- IOA not to boycott London Olympics, to protest against Dow - Dec 15, 2011
- India has not asked athletes to boycott Olympics: Maken - Mar 29, 2012
- IOA to convey concern of Bhopal victims to London organisers - Dec 06, 2011
- Bhopal survivors burn effigy of IOC president - Feb 19, 2012
- Bhopal activists blast IOC - Feb 16, 2012
- Olympics boycott is on the table, claims Bhopal NGO - Feb 27, 2012
- Bhopal victims write to PM on Dow sponsoring London Olympics - Aug 11, 2011
- India asks IOC to drop Dow as Olympic sponsor - Feb 27, 2012
- Paralympics urge to cancel Dow Chemicals sponsor - Feb 01, 2012
- Bhopal gas victims slam Dow sponsoring London Olympics - Oct 25, 2011
- MPs urged to seek Dow's removal as London Olympics sponsor - Dec 05, 2011
- Bhopal gas survivors welcome Ethics Commissioner's resignation - Jan 26, 2012
Tags: bhopal gas tragedy, british minister, climate change, confederation of indian industry, dow chemical, dow chemical co, fiscal instruments, gas leak, india ltd, indian government, indian olympic association, industrial disaster, international olympic committee, ioa, ioc, minister of state, olympic games, prerogative, uk minister, union carbide india