We conceded three silly goals, says ChettriJanuary 15th, 2011 - 2:34 pm ICT by IANS
Doha, Jan 15 (IANS) Ace striker Sunil Chettri blamed the defence as India suffered a 2-5 loss against Bahrain in their second Asian Cup Group C match at the Al Sadd Stadium here Friday. Chettri, who headed in the second goal from a rebound, said poor defending saw India conceding four goals in the first half.
“The first half was disappointing. The first three goals were silly goals. I think we played better, and at the end it could have been a better scoreline than 5-2,” he said.
“Against big teams like Bahrain, even a small mistake will make you pay heavily. You just can’t switch off for a moment or two as it may hurt you,” said Chhetri.
Though Chettri found his name on the scoresheet, he credited the goal to Renedy Singh, whose swerving cross from the left hit the bar and crossed the goal line, and from a rebound Chettri again nodded it in.
“I think the goal was Renedy’s. He is an amazing player and in the absence of Bhaichung, he was motivating us on the field. It was a brilliant free-kick for the first goal and the second goal was Renedy’s amazing left foot,” said Chettri.
Renedy also played a crucial part in the first goal as his free-kick was deflected by Abhishek Yadav towards Gourmangi Singh, who chipped it in as India equalised 1-1.
Renedy, however, was not satisfied with his performance.
“I got a few free-kicks and converted one of them. But I am disappointed that I couldn’t curl the one which I got in the middle of the park,” said Renedy.
“We played badly in the first half. But I’m pleased with our performance in the second half,” he said.
- Wadoo, Pereira strike as India beat Namibia 2-0 (Lead) - Sep 15, 2010
- Spirited India hold UAE 2-2, but World Cup dreams over (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- World Cup qualifier: Spirited India hold UAE 2-2, but lose 2-5 in aggregate - Jul 28, 2011
- I am giving myself another 2-3 days, says Bhaichung (Lead) - Jan 07, 2011
- India lift Nehru Cup for third time in thrilling fashion (Lead) - Sep 02, 2012
- SAFF Cup: India beat Sri Lanka 3-0, face Maldives in semifinal - Dec 07, 2011
- Will injured Bhaichung play AFC Asian Cup? - Jan 07, 2011
- Nehru Cup: India scrape through 2-1 against Syria - Aug 22, 2012
- I-League: Mohun Bagan thrash Shillong Lajong - Apr 10, 2012
- Porto beat Benfica to lead Portuguese league - Mar 03, 2012
- Purposeful India put it across Sri Lanka - Aug 26, 2009
- Nehru Cup: Cameroon edge India 1-0 - Aug 31, 2012
- India stun Syria to retain Nehru Cup(Round-up) - Sep 01, 2009
- Bhaichung shines on his 100th appearance as India beat Kyrgyzstan - Aug 23, 2009
- AIFF flip-flop may cost Bhaichung a place in Asian Cup team (Roundup) - Jan 07, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,