We can’t be complacent: Dempo coachMarch 23rd, 2012 - 8:56 pm ICT by IANS
Margao (Goa), March 23 (IANS) Coach Armando Colaco is taking nothing for granted when leaders Dempo SC play bottom-placed HAL as the I-League resumes at the Nehru Stadium, Fatorda, Saturday.
Dempo lead the league with 43 points while HAL are fighting relegation with seven points at the end of the 20th round. Dempo coach Colaco, however, believes that HAL will be difficult to handle than most of their supporters would like to believe.
“Our complacency and their determination is a deadly combination. If we do not stay on our guard, they will have the last laugh,” warned Colaco.
Colaco, back with the team after spending more than a month at home following a cardiac arrest, is aware what HAL can do. Last year, quite unexpectedly, HAL stunned Dempo at home in the final game and thus saved themselves from being relegated. Also, the shocking result meant Dempo missed out on the second spot.
“I have repeatedly warned the players that this is a match in which we need to be careful. We are resuming I-League action after a long time and there is bound to be some difference. I want my boys to stay focused,” said the former India coach.
Colaco will miss international midfielder Clifford Miranda who has not yet recovered from his injury. Clifford’s spot is most likely to be taken up by Peter Carvalho.
With just six more matches to be played, HAL are staring at relegation. They have a poor seven points and must win at least four of their next six matches and hope the likes of Chirag United Kerala and Mumbai FC do not add to their points tally.
- Dempo a draw away from winning the I-League - Apr 19, 2012
- I-League: Dempo score easy victory over HAL - Mar 24, 2012
- I-League: Churchill look to close gap on Dempo - Apr 10, 2012
- Holders Salgaocar eye win against relegated Chirag United - Apr 28, 2012
- I-League begins Saturday, spotlight on Dempo-Salgaocar clash - Oct 21, 2011
- Dempo not to take Chirag United lightly - Jan 13, 2012
- We have to stay alert against Sporting Clube: Armando - Apr 14, 2012
- I-League: All roads lead to the Goan Derby - Jan 28, 2012
- Holders Salgaocar blank HAL 4-0 in I-League - Jan 18, 2012
- Churchill hope to continue impressive run against Chirag Kerala - Apr 03, 2012
- Salgaocar edge past Chirag 1-0 in I-League - Apr 29, 2012
- Armando drops Bhaichung along with 11 seniors from World Cup probables - Jun 02, 2011
- Champions Dempo aim to end I-League on high note - May 04, 2012
- HAL take on Mumbai FC in I-League - Apr 13, 2012
- We can defeat Salgaocar, says Air India coach - Mar 30, 2012
Tags: armando, cardiac arrest, carvalho, clifford, coach, colaco, complacency, deadly combination, final game, goa, kerala, last laugh, long time, match, midfielder, miranda, mumbai, nehru stadium, seven points, shocking result