We are not at war with anybody: K.P.S. GillJuly 17th, 2008 - 9:44 pm ICT by IANS
By Avishek Roy
Hyderabad, July 17 (IANS) President of the superseded Indian Hockey Federation K P S Gill Thursday said he is not at war with the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) or has he stopped interacting with its officials. “If there are any issues they could be settled through a dialogue.” In a freewheeling interview with IANS, Gill also refuted allegations that he is creating obstacles in the way of the ad-hoc committee’s functioning and said some members of the committee were making “nasty statements.” He said Indian hockey will suffer because of the tussle between the IHF and the IOA.
Gill, who came here to attend the meeting of the Asian Hockey Federation (AHF) as its vice-president, said the IHF had certain role in mind for Australian Ric Charlesworth and it was unfortunate that the IOA did not consult him on the issue.
“They do not have the power to dissolve the IHF. We are registered in Chennai and the IOA is registered in Delhi. Suspension does not mean that you do not talk to us. It was (suspension) unnecessary.
“Till now they have not given us the proceedings of the meeting. If there were any problems, they could have been sorted out through discussion. Whatever is happening is not good for Indian hockey.”
“It is not a war. We are civilised people. When governments are talking to terrorists, then why cannot people just get together and talk.
“I have a very clear roadmap for Indian hockey in my mind and if anyone wants to discuss it intelligently and in a cordial manner, I am open for it.”
Asked about the Charlesworth controversy, “We had certain role for him. It is unfortunate that before taking a decision on him, the issue could have been discussed with us. They should have taken our advice.
“The ad-hoc committee is making nasty, irrelevant statements. By merely making statements you do not achieve anything,” he said.
Gill also rubbished the talk of transparency by the ad-hoc committee.
“Does transparency in selection process means that you have journalists around. Transparency means that the players who have been selected or rejected should know the reasons.”
“You need to have a clear idea about how do you want to change the system. Then we see what kind of professional you need for it and whether there are that kind of people in India. If there are not then you will have to see whether those you want to bring from outside fit into your environment.”
Gill said he was not creating any problems for ad-hoc committee as claimed by some of its members.
Asked if he asked the Asian Hockey Federation to cancel the ongoing junior Asia Cup here, Gill said he had called for the “postponement of the tournament because there was confusion.”
“IHF is fountainhead of ideas and we were slowly finding sponsors even for junior tournaments through our perseverance and persistance. We were having programmes for under-16, 18 and 20. Unfortunately some of those programmes have been stopped. It is very difficult to get sponsors here. Everything was running smoothly. I was taken by surprise when the IOA took the decision. The matter is sub-judice now.”
“If I get a chance I will try to see that I follow the roadmap I have in mind for Indian hockey and achieve it, otherwise good luck to them.”
- Gill turns down merger proposal with HI - Jun 24, 2011
- HI to act tough on Bhopal nationals' participants - Jul 04, 2010
- IOA should facilitate IHF-HI unification: Shetty - Jul 27, 2011
- Gill vows to fight back after High Court quashes IOC order - May 21, 2010
- IHF rejects IOA's three-member panel - Aug 30, 2012
- Reinstated by court, Gill vows to be back in action - May 21, 2010
- Maken gives HI, IHF a blueprint for merger - Jun 11, 2011
- KPS Gill holds AGM of superseded IHF - Apr 25, 2010
- K.P.S. Gill to chair IHF meeting - Apr 25, 2010
- FIH president Negre to meet HI, IHF next week - Apr 07, 2012
- IOA president criticises FIH for taking away Champions Trophy from India - Sep 13, 2011
- We can solve the hockey mess through talks: K.P.S. Gill - Jul 28, 2010
- Hockey India's claims meaningless, says Gill - May 23, 2010
- HC verdict reinforces our stand on WSH: FIH - Feb 15, 2012
- IHF seeks changes to sports ministry's proposal on unification - Jun 21, 2011
Tags: ahf, allegations, chennai, controversy, cordial manner, dialogue, governments, hoc committee, hyderabad, ihf, indian hockey federation, indian olympic association, ioa, july 17, obstacles, proceedings, ric charlesworth, roadmap, transparency, tussle