We are going to Olympics with hopes for medals: KalmadiAugust 1st, 2008 - 3:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 1 (IANS) Suresh Kalmadi, Indian Olympic Association president, has said that Indian sportspersons are going to the Beijing Olympics with “hopes” for medals. “We are very happy that Mahesh and Leander have come together and that raises our hopes for a tennis medal. The archery and the boxing team have been performing well and I am sure table tennis star Neha Agarwal will also surely do well.
“It is a fond farewell. Half of the team has already gone to Beijing and the other half will go after the function. We go there with hopes,” said Kalmadi at an event Thursday night to honour members of the Indian contingent for the Olympic Games by Swiss luxury watch manufacturer, Omega watches.
“The government has given us good support for the commonwealth games which I am sure will yield result in the Olympics to be held in London in 2012.”
Raynald Aeschlimann, vice president Omega international, along with its brand ambassadors - Bollywood actors Abhishek Bachchan and Sonali Bendre Behl - unveiled the coffee table book, “Great Olympic Moments in Time”.
Sonali said: “I wish India sparkles at the event but the athletes shouldn’t be pressurising themselves to win.”
Abhishek, who flew down from San Francisco for the event during the ongoing Bachchan’s “Unforgettable” world tour said: “We have very high hopes from the Indian athletes. But, Olympics are not just about winning. It is about participating for the country.”
Omega is the official timekeeper of Beijing Olympics 2008 and has been associated with the event since the 1932 games in Los Angeles.
- Cuba expecting better show at London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- China can't reach Beijing gold haul in London, says official - Apr 20, 2012
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- London 2012 top priority for Malhotra - Apr 28, 2011
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- Beijing gold haul difficult in London: Chinese official - Apr 18, 2012
- Abhishek Bachchan to attend Olympics - Aug 05, 2012
- Don't reject state-run sports, says Chinese daily - Aug 04, 2012
- Expect charming athletes at London Olympics: Chinese daily - Jul 27, 2012
- China, US to battle it out for top position in London - Jul 22, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- London Olympics ahead, funds to keep flowing for athletes - Oct 29, 2010
- China harvests in 'backyard' sports but challenges loom ahead of Olympics - Dec 27, 2011
- India at Olympics: Indians abroad have high expectations (With Image) - Jul 21, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: abhishek bachchan, association president, behl, beijing olympics 2008, bollywood actors, boxing team, coffee table book, commonwealth games, fond farewell, great olympic moments, honour members, indian athletes, indian olympic association, luxury watch, moments in time, olympic games, sonali bendre, suresh kalmadi, tennis star, watch manufacturer