We are getting better at Olympics: IOAAugust 12th, 2012 - 2:09 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 12 (IANS) Indian Olympic Association (IOA) secretary general Randhir Singh Saturday said wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt’s bronze medal that took the country’s tally to five, from the London Games made it India’s best ever performance at the Olympics.
Randhir said Yogeshwar’s performance will now inspire his childhood buddy Sushil Kumar, Beijing Games bronze medallist, to go for his second Olympic medal Sunday, when the Games end.
The 29-year-old Yogeshwar brought home the country’s third ever medal in Olympic wrestling after
Khashaba Dadasaheb Jadhav and Sushil Kumar. Jadhav and Kumar had also won bronze medals in 1952 Helsinki and 2008 Beijing Games.
“I am thrilled with Yogeshwar’s win. This has been just incredible. Five medals at The Games. This has never happened before. This medal will definitely inspire and boost Sushil’s morale to win India’s sixth medal tomorrow,” said Singh.
“I am very happy. We have won medals in every major event we expected to win except archery. Our campaign at the Olympics has been improving over the year. Leander (Paes) won one (1996), then it was Karnam Malleswari (2000), then we saw (Rajyavardhan Singh Rahore) bringing the silver. Then in Beijing we won three medals and this time now at least five. So things are looking up,” he added.
“Among other good performances we reached the quarterfinals of men’s badminton and (Joydeep) Karmakar almost won a bronze in shooting. This will generate new sportspersons who will go on to win more medals for the country”, said Randhir.
- Sports Minister hails bronze medallist Yogeshwar - Aug 12, 2012
- Indian wrestling has a bright future: Sports minister - Aug 12, 2012
- The best Olympics for India (Review) - Aug 12, 2012
- For Yogeshwar, London was 'now or never' - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Yogeshwar wins bronze, fifth Olympic medal fo India (Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: All eyes on Sushil after Yogeshwar's bronze (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Wrestler Yogeshwar gets India bronze after hockey embarrassment (India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Sushil secures silver on concluding day (India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- After dream medal, marriage on cards for Yogeshwar (Lead, Combining London/Chandigarh stories) - Aug 12, 2012
- Gill inaugurates wrestling stadium for Commonwealth Games - Jul 06, 2010
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil first to win back-to-back medals (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: I was hungry for this medal, says Yogeshwar - Aug 12, 2012
- Sushil, Yogeshwar return home to hero's welcome - Aug 14, 2012
- Olympics: Yogeshwar Dutt's factfile - Aug 12, 2012
- India hails Olympic silver medallist Sushil Kumar - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: 2008 beijing, archery, bronze medal, bronze medals, childhood buddy, helsinki, indian olympic association, ioa, jadhav, karmakar, leander paes, london games, olympic medal, olympics, quarterfinals, randhir singh, secretary general, sushil kumar, tally, yogeshwar