We are capable of making a comeback: Kiwis’ Jeetan PatelAugust 24th, 2012 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 24 (IANS) New Zealand spinner Jeetan Patel believes his team is capable of making a comeback in the first Test against India.
“We have to come back tomorrow and face up to the music and fight for what we are known,” he told reporters on the second day of the Test as the visitors - at five for 106 in reply to India’s 438 - face a likely follow-on.
Patel, who was the most successful New Zealand bowler with four for 100, said the Kiwi cricket was known for their flair and the team had been in such situations many times.
“Tomorrow is a good chance to get back and understand what the situation is. If things go right, we move closer to get back into the game.”
The spinner said the loss of five wickets early on was disappointing but praised the Indian bowlers, saying they bowled good balls.
Patel said the New Zealand bowlers bowled well throughout the day Thursday but there was a bit of unluckiness. He feels the bowlers gave away too many runs.
The spinner did not agree that there was an additional pressure on him because of the absence of experienced Daniel Vettori.
“I came back into the side as an opportunity. For me, it is just another chance to play for New Zealand and do well,” he said but admitted that bowling in pairs like Ashwin and Ojha always helps.
Patel said he made changes in his bowling action a couple of years ago and was approaching the game differently and enjoying every chance he was getting to play.
- India tighten grip on first Test against New Zealand (Roundup) - Aug 24, 2012
- India tighten noose on Kiwis, rain curtails third day's play (Second Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- India tightens noose on New Zealand at lunch (Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- Ashwin for enforcing follow-on after early wrap-up - Aug 24, 2012
- India to make fresh start against New Zealand (Preview) - Aug 22, 2012
- India bowled out for 438 against New Zealand (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Raina, Kohli to India's rescue (Tea Lead) - Sep 01, 2012
- Ashwin achieves career-best ranking, Sachin out of top 10 - Aug 27, 2012
- First Test: Ashwin spins India to innings victory (Roundup) - Aug 26, 2012
- Taylor confident of fightback in second Test - Aug 26, 2012
- Kohli, Dhoni carry India to victory (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Ashwin hopes India continues winning performance - Aug 26, 2012
- India set for series sweep (Preview) - Aug 30, 2012
- New Zealand on 106/5 on day two of first Test - Aug 24, 2012
- We need to rectify mistakes: Franklin - Aug 25, 2012
Tags: absence, ashwin, balls, bowling action, cricket, daniel vettori, first test, flair, good chance, hyderabad, India, indian bowlers, jeetan patel, kiwi, new zealand, ojha, pairs, reply, spinner, wickets