WBA champ Amir Khan eyeing undefeated legend Mayweather’s mantleDecember 15th, 2010 - 5:25 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 15(ANI): British boxer Amir Khan, who has retained his WBA light-welterweight title by defeating Argentina’s Marcos Maidana in Las Vegas, has said that he now wants American boxer Floyd Mayweather Junior as his next opponent.
“There’s talk of big fights for me towards the end of the year. Someone like Mayweather. If I keep training well then it’s possible. I want to unify the division,” the Daily Mail quoted Khan, as saying.
A Khan-Mayweather fight had been mooted as a vague possibility in recent months, with a date sometime in the later part of 2011 suggested as a possible date.
The bout is an exciting proposition in theory, with one of the fastest and most technically gifted fighters in history taking on a boxer looking to take on his mantle as the world’s premier slickster.
However, Khan lacks the big-fight experience of the 33-year-old Mayweather.
Mayweather is a five-division world champion, where he won nine world titles in five different boxing weight classes.
He is currently undefeated as a professional boxer, with 41 wins including 25 by way of knockout.
Khan’s American promoter, Oscar De La Hoya, believes that Mayweather is also keen to take on Khan.
“You have Mayweather who wants to fight. Amir wants to fight Mayweather. He wants to fight the very best, but right now it’s vacation time,” Hoya said. (ANI)
- Brit-Muslim boxer Khan to quit sport by 2014 - Dec 20, 2010
- Brit boxer Khan ready to take on superstar pal Manny Pacquiao - Apr 18, 2011
- Brit Muslim boxer to take on Mayweather, Pacquiao in a year's time - May 04, 2010
- Challenger Casamayor says he will knock out WBA champ Khan 'dead' - Jun 04, 2010
- Amir Khan inks new contract with Golden Boy Promotions - Apr 20, 2011
- Pacquiao willing to fight Mayweather Junior - Jan 11, 2012
- Brit boxing ace Khan says he never tested positive for drugs - Dec 26, 2010
- Brit boxer Amir Khan retains WBA light-welterweight title - Dec 12, 2010
- De La Hoya insists Brit boxer Khan can join him in Hall of Fame - May 11, 2010
- WBA champ Amir Khan refuses to be a 'cash-cow' for pricey title wanabees - Jan 15, 2011
- Brit boxer Amir Khan to quit in 2015 - Apr 25, 2010
- I will quit boxing in five years, says Brit boxer Amir Khan - Oct 08, 2010
- Witter ready for 'Battle of Britain' clash with Amir Khan - Feb 04, 2011
- Brit boxer Khan to help Hatton fight drugs, drinks abuse - Sep 20, 2010
- Khan vows to silence critics by beating boxing's big names - Sep 24, 2010
Tags: american boxer, amir khan, argentina, boxer amir khan, daily mail, de la hoya, fight experience, floyd mayweather, knockout, las vegas, mantle, next opponent, oscar de la hoya, professional boxer, promoter, vacation time, vague possibility, wba champ, world champion, world titles