Wayne and Coleen head for honeymoon, dismiss unholy wedding row

June 17th, 2008 - 12:36 am ICT by ANI  

London, June 16 (ANI): English footballer Wayne Rooney and his newly wed wife Coleen are heading off to a secret location for their honeymoon despite claims by the priest that their wedding had been conducted on ground not authorised for religious services.

The couple are determined to keep their celebrations going and are expected to leave Britain for a private, weeklong break on Monday.

They returned to Liverpool on Saturday from Italy, where they were married, by private jet - both sporting one million pounds his-and-hers rings.

And last night the pair laughed off rumours that the blessing of their Italian marriage could be void because it took place in deconsecrated grounds.

The priest in charge of the wedding, Father Mario Ostigoni, had claimed their wedding at the magnificent La Cervara, a converted monastery, had been conducted on ground not authorised for religious services.

The Italian priest said: La Cervara was not suitable as it is deconsecrated. How can the Catholic Church approve a marriage blessing or marriage service, if it took place within an unsuitable venue?

The Mirror quoted Ostigoni as saying that La Cervara has not been a recognised venue for months.

It was claimed that the couple had been told of the problem and had been offered an alternative venue, but they still went ahead.

But their spokesman said last night: They are definitely married, legally and in the eyes of the church. This was a meticulously planned wedding. (ANI)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |