Watson needs another week to recover fullyFebruary 11th, 2012 - 5:07 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Feb 11 (IANS) Australian cricket all-rounder Shane Watson Saturday said he needs another week to recover fully from his calf injury and is not pushing himself for an international recall.
Watson made his first appearance on the field Saturday since injuring his calf muscle during Australia’s second Test win over South Africa in Johannesburg last November.
Watson made his Sydney grade debut for Sutherland against Eastern Suburbs at Waverley Oval in a one-day game and smacked 30 off 27 balls and finished with 0-17 off six overs.
Watson said he intends to gradually increase his bowling workload and play for New South Wales in the Sheffield Shield match against Western Australia starting in Perth, Friday.
“It’s been a very frustrating couple of months. It’s something I love, doing so much, so I missed it a lot. There’s been a few false starts over the last month or so, so to be able to get through the game was the most important thing,” Watson was quoted as saying Sydney Morning Herald.
“I’ve been working pretty hard on my batting and making a few adjustments on my batting technique. In the end, I suppose I got more than I was hoping out of the day,” he said.
Watson said he expects to get fully fit probably about in another week or so, if everything continues to go well.
“If I’m able to get through a Shield game then and get some bowling into me in that Shield game, I feel like I will be ready to be able to play one-day cricket especially. But I’m not getting too far in front of myself. I know how important the next few days are to recover,” he said.
- Taylor, Fleming want Watson to cut down on workload - Oct 24, 2011
- Watson could miss entire series against India - Dec 27, 2011
- Harris returns to Australia Test squad - Dec 30, 2011
- Warner will thrive under heavy workload - Jan 19, 2012
- 'West Indies favourites for T20 World Cup' - Jun 28, 2012
- 'Have enough games to stake claim for Ashes berth,' says Haddin - Oct 01, 2010
- Batting camp will make Australians ready for mind games - Dec 20, 2011
- Flintoff hopes to be back in action in next few weeks - Jul 21, 2010
- Watson was under-bowled at Gabba, is crucial to Oz attack: Blewett - Dec 02, 2010
- 'Fully-fit' Siddle ready for giving England Ashes 'peppering', says Victoria coach - Oct 28, 2010
- Australia drop Marsh, rest Haddin for ODI tri-series - Jan 30, 2012
- Playing in South Africa is as tough as it gets: Clarke - Oct 04, 2011
- Fiery pacer Brett Lee retires from international cricket - Jul 13, 2012
- Clarke right man to lead Australia: Lee - May 30, 2011
- Watson doubtful; Christian and Cowan's chances now brighten (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,