Wasim Akram’s wife buried in LahoreOctober 26th, 2009 - 6:10 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Oct 26 (IANS) Tributes poured in for Wasim Akram’s wife, Huma, who was buried in her hometown Lahore Monday. She was 42.
A large number of former Pakistan Test cricketers, senior Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) officials, dignitaries of the city and Wasim’s fans attended the funeral.
Saeed Anwar, a former Pakistan captain and ex-teammate of Wasim, led the funeral prayers. Also in attendance were Ijaz Butt, the Pakistan Cricket Board chairman, former captain Inzamam-ul-Haq, Moin Khan, Ijaz Ahmed, Zakir Khan among others.
Huma died Sunday at a Chennai hospital after battling it out for five days. She was afflicted with sepsis, a disease in which the tissues of the body are affected. Blood becomes affected too and it finally leads to renal failure.
Huma was being taken to Singapore for treatment from her home in Lahore in an air ambulance. Heart and kidney complications arose while she was being flown. She had to be taken to the hospital in Chennai when the plane stopped there for refuelling.
Huma and Wasim studied together and knew each other since 1986. They went out for a few years before tying the knot in 1993 when Wasim was at the peak of his career. They were easily among the best known couples in Pakistan.
Huma was a trained psychotherapist. During Wasim’s captaincy, she was appointed the psychological counsellor of the team. Huma leaves behind their two sons Taimur and Akram.
“Her untimely death is a huge loss for her family and her friends. All of us will miss her,” said Zaheer Abbas, a former Pakistan captain.
Inzamam said that he and his former teammates were all aggrieved as they had known Huma from their playing days. “She was like a sister to all of us,” said Inzamam.
- Pak cricket fraternity grieves over Akram's wife's untimely death - Oct 26, 2009
- Akram seeks prayers for bringing up children the way late wife would have wanted - Oct 27, 2009
- Wasim Akram's Wife Huma Dies Of Sepsis - Oct 25, 2009
- Wasim Akram, Moin Khan rubbish match-fixing charges - Oct 11, 2011
- Wasim Akram's wife Huma passes away - Oct 25, 2009
- Wasim Akram's wife dies in Chennai - Oct 25, 2009
- Pakistan envoy speaks to Wasim Akram over ailing wife - Oct 23, 2009
- No current player in Cricinfo's Pak all-time great Test XI - May 25, 2010
- Pak doctors' negligence led to Akram's wife's death: Inquiry committee report - Nov 26, 2009
- Wasim Akram's wife was taken abroad against doctors' advice - Oct 27, 2009
- Wasim Akram likes Sushmita Sen - Oct 11, 2010
- Ex Pak greats blasts Butt for announcing Yousuf's removal after Australia tour - Jan 24, 2010
- Sacking Afridi was a big mistake: Akram - May 21, 2011
- 17 doctors suspended for 'dereliction of duty' leading to Akram's wife's death - Dec 11, 2009
- Akram to appear before Lahore High Court in connection with wife's death case - Jan 14, 2010
Tags: air ambulance, board chairman, counsellor, dignitaries, huma, karachi, kidney complications, pakistan captain, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, pakistan test, psychotherapist, renal failure, saeed anwar, sepsis, test cricketers, tying the knot, untimely death, wasim akram, zaheer abbas