Warner’s explosive hundred powers Thunder’s winDecember 17th, 2011 - 8:46 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Dec 17 (IANS) Explosive opener David Warner smashed six boundaries and six sixes in an unbeaten 102 off 51 balls to give Sydney Thunder an easy six-wicket victory over Melbourne Stars in the Big Bash League here Saturday night.
This was skipper Warner’s maiden Twenty20 hundred at home and his fourth overall, two of these back-to-back in the Champions League in India.
Following his sizzling maiden Test century last week against New Zealand at Hobart, Warner showed great versatility in adapting to the shortest format of the game.
Sydney had the worse possible start to their chase, losing Chris Gayle and Australian international Usman Khawaja early in the innings, and Warner’s blitzkrieg saw Thunder cross the line with six balls to spare.
Winning the toss, the Thunder put the home side in to bat. The Stars were in trouble as Doug Bollinger got two early wickets. David Hussey turned the tide with a belligerent 52 off 27 deliveries, hitting four boundaries and three sixes, to take his team to a fighting 153/7.
– Indo-Asian News Service
- Fidel, Bollinger join Sydney Thunders - Jul 13, 2011
- Big Bash: Renegades beat Thunder for first win - Dec 30, 2011
- Big Bash: Hobart beat Sydney for 4th straight win - Jan 01, 2012
- Gayle smashes Sydney to their second win in Big Bash - Dec 23, 2011
- Big Bash launch pales in comparison with IPL - Dec 17, 2011
- Warner most sought after player in Big Bash - Jun 26, 2011
- Wade propels Australia to 171/4 in first T20 (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Australian top order asked to attend batting camp - Dec 14, 2011
- Daredevils crush Chargers as Warner smashes blazing ton (Roundup) - May 10, 2012
- RCB thump Pune Warriors for maiden win at home (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- No score safe in IPL-V - May 10, 2012
- Cricket Australia announce squads for warm-ups against India - Dec 09, 2011
- Daredevils knock Kings XI out of IPL, top group stage (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- India's losing streak in Australia continues (Roundup) - Feb 01, 2012
- Rajasthan Royals beat Daredevils to maintain IPL winning run (Lead) - Apr 12, 2011
Tags: asian news, blitzkrieg, bollinger, boundaries, champions league, chris gayle, david hussey, david warner, deliveries, hobart, indo, maiden test, six sixes, skipper, test century, twenty20, usman, versatility, wicket victory, wickets