Warne wants umpire Aleem Dar sackedDecember 30th, 2008 - 4:47 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Dec 30 (IANS) Spin wizard Shane Warne wants Elite Panel umpire Aleem Dar sacked after the Pakistani committed a blunder in dismissing Mike Hussey during the second Test against South Africa at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG).”To me Aleem Dar makes too many mistakes and needs a break. Umpire standards are pretty poor,” Warne was quoted as saying by The Daily Telegraph.
Dar incorrectly ruled Hussey caught out by Hashim Amla off Morne Morkel on the fourth day Monday. But television replays showed that the ball hit Hussey’s helmet - and nothing else - when it ballooned into the air to Amla, who took the simplest of catches.
Dar has already apologised during the First Test for his glaring error in giving beleaguered Aussie opener Matthew Hayden out caught and bowled to a delivery his bat was nowhere near.
Channel 9 commentators Richie Benaud and Ian Healy were also shocked with Dar’s decision.
“That didn’t seem to be anywhere near Hussey’s glove. It was certainly near his helmet. There was a fair clunk,” Benaud said.
Healy said: “There was a clear case for a referral which could have been used. The umpire could have referred that to the third umpire. About now he (Dar) is becoming aware that it could have been an error. Hussey showed his displeasure but handled it well.”
The Australian left-hander trudged off the MCG disappointed. But he will be one player more than happy to see the challenge system tried when Australia travel away to South Africa for the three-match return series in February.
The system allows players to challenge an umpire’s decision and to have the decision referred to the third umpire for a video review.
- Ponting fined 40 percent of match fees in MCG Test - Dec 27, 2010
- Clarke demands ICC action on video referrals after Bell 'edge' - Jan 06, 2011
- Ponting fined 5400 dollars for 'unacceptable' argument with umpires in MCG Test - Dec 27, 2010
- Ponting apologises for his on-field argument with umpires - Dec 28, 2010
- Ponting slams policy of showing replays on big screen - Dec 28, 2010
- Former England captains blast Ponting's behaviour - Dec 28, 2010
- English media lambast Ponting - Dec 28, 2010
- Ponting blasts 'flawed' UDRS, insists Pietersen was out - Dec 28, 2010
- Technology affecting umpires' confidence: Hair - Jan 06, 2011
- Honesty and concentration key to my success: Umpire Aleem Dar - Sep 23, 2011
- Australians livid over Dars inconsistencies following Haydens wrong dismissal - Dec 20, 2008
- Dar backs new umpire referral system - Nov 19, 2009
- Sachin, Gambhir nominated for ICC Awards - Aug 26, 2011
- Vettori wins toss, New Zealand elect to bat - Mar 25, 2011
- Graeme Smith wins toss, elects to bat - Mar 19, 2011