Warne-Murali Trophy to be unveiled in HobartNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:19 am ICT by admin
“The announcement celebrates the 25th anniversary of Australia-Sri Lanka Test cricket, with the silver trophy featuring casts of Warne and (Muralitharan’s) right hands and match-used cricket balls bowled by both players during their careers.”
Cricket Australia Chief Executive Officer James Sutherland said: “We think it’s a fitting tribute to both players by naming the perpetual Australia versus Sri Lanka Test Series trophy after them.”
Sri Lanka Cricket CEO Duleep Mendis added: “We are proud of the rivalry between our nation and Australia and think this trophy will help add to the sense of occasion every time we do battle.”
Warne, who has made remarks about Murali taking “cheap” wickets against struggling Test nations like Bangladesh, welcomed the announcement.
“We’ve had some great battles in the past and helped raise each other’s game to the heights that we’ve reached,” Warne said.
“The rivalry between Australia and Sri Lanka has grown immeasurably over the last decade and I know my former Australian team mates will be super keen to be the first country to win the trophy when they do battle this November.
“Personally, Sri Lanka means something special to me. It was where I first achieved success as a Test bowler and it also moved me when I saw the courage with which the people of Sri Lanka responded to the tragic Tsunami during my visit there immediately afterwards,” news.com.au quoted Warne, as saying.
Murali said he had enormous respect for Warne.
“I consider it a great honour to have a trophy named after both of us,” he said.
“Australia also gave me one of my most memorable moments when I played at the MCG in the Tsunami fundraiser (in January 2005).”
The first Test starts in Brisbane on Thursday and the second Test is in Hobart from November 16-20, where Warne and Murali will unveil the trophy. (ANI)
- Tendulkar, Muralitharan raise the stakes - Mar 31, 2011
- Kumble calls Muralitharan's 800-wickets feat as "unparalleled" - Jul 22, 2010
- Muralitharan takes blame for India's dominating win over Sri Lanka - Apr 04, 2011
- Muralitharan to quit international cricket after World Cup 2011 - Oct 09, 2010
- Australian bowling lacks talent: Murali - Nov 05, 2010
- Australia name unchanged XI for second Test - Jan 02, 2012
- I hold no grudge against anyone: Muralitharan - Jul 22, 2010
- Injured Muralitharan likely to miss World Cup semi-final against Black Caps - Mar 29, 2011
- Cricket Australia manages coup, ropes in Muralidaran for guest spin coach role - Feb 08, 2011
- Muralitharan to play crucial role in Sri Lanka's CWG bid - Nov 04, 2011
- Muralitharan racing against time to be fit for semifinal - Mar 28, 2011
- Series against England toughest on earth: Sri Lanka coach - May 25, 2011
- Muralitharan cheered by fans at his last ODI (Lead) - Apr 03, 2011
- History beckons India, Sri Lanka at Wankhede (Preview) - Apr 01, 2011
- Harbhajan has highly suspicious action, claims Hair - Aug 24, 2011
Tags: australian team, cricket australia, cricket balls, cricket history, duleep mendis, fitting tribute, james sutherland, match, murali, officer james, rivalry, series trophy, silver trophy, sri lanka cricket, test bowler, test series, test wickets, tsunami, warne, world cricket