Warne asks Oz selectors to consider Beer for Perth TestDecember 8th, 2010 - 2:35 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Dec 8 (ANI): Australian cricket legend Shane Warne has asked the selectors to consider the local knowledge of West Australian left-arm spinner Michael Beer for the critical third Ashes Test in Perth.
Beer (26) has bowled decently in his five first-class matches for the Warriors, taking 16 wickets at an average of 39.93.
Describing the unfortunate Xavier Doherty as a “Ricky Ponting selection”, Warne argued that in the absence of a standout option, Beer’s experience at the WACA would be valuable, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
“Spin-bowling options are difficult. Xavier Doherty has not had an ideal situation to come in and play two Test matches,” Warne wrote in the London Telegraph.
“He has been behind the eight ball every time so it is very hard if they say, ’sorry, you are out mate’. He was obviously a Ricky Ponting selection. He wanted him in, but given the situation of the series, Australia may need to go with an experienced player,” he said.
“We are now back to what I said before the series started. Where do they go? Do they opt for Nathan Hauritz or a wrist-spinner like Steve Smith? Do they play two spinners or none at all and prepare a green, grassy wicket in Perth?
“That would be a big gamble against England’s seam attack. The pitch is not fast and bouncy these days, so maybe you get a local guy who knows the Perth conditions, like left-arm spinner Michael Beer,” Warne wrote.
“Sometimes horses for courses works. Australia has to explore all options and win this next match to get back in this series,” he adds.
Looking ahead to the distinct possibility of a lost series, Warne forecast the necessity of considerable change.
“If Australia lose this series badly then that is the time to reassess everything and say right, it is back to the drawing board,” he wrote. (ANI)
- Warne bats for Michael Beer's inclusion in Perth Test - Dec 08, 2010
- Beer in, North, Bollinger and Doherty axed from Oz squad - Dec 10, 2010
- Winning Adelaide Test will be Ponting's greatest challenge: Warne - Dec 01, 2010
- Hauritz, Australia's best hope of regaining Ashes: Jenner - Dec 07, 2010
- 'Dumped' Doherty warns Beer to be ready for an English onslaught in Perth - Dec 13, 2010
- Hodge slams Oz selectors for picking 'out-of-form' Johnson for Perth Test - Dec 14, 2010
- Oz provincial side selector says struggling Ponting should bat lower down - Dec 15, 2010
- Australian media furious over 'most humiliating' Ashes loss - Dec 08, 2010
- Clarke praises team for win over Sri Lanka - Aug 21, 2011
- 'Oz Ashes Test surprise select' Beer meets teammates in Perth - Dec 13, 2010
- Beer just needs to do his best during Perth Ashes Test: Chappell - Dec 14, 2010
- Hastings in Australia's World Cup squad, Siddle dropped - Jan 18, 2011
- Ponting must use Krejza as team's No.1 wicket-taking spinner: Berry - Feb 13, 2011
- Hussey relieved of domestic duty ahead of S. Africa tour - Oct 10, 2011
- Marsh, not Hughes should open for Australia in Perth Test: Arthur - Dec 09, 2010
Tags: ashes test, australian cricket, distinct possibility, drawing board, left arm, local knowledge, london telegraph, michael beer, nathan hauritz, play two, ricky ponting, selectors, shane warne, spinners, steve smith, sydney morning herald, test matches, waca, wicket, wickets