Warnapura, Sangakkara take Sri Lanka to 120/2 (Lunch Report)February 21st, 2009 - 3:51 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Feb 21 (IANS) Half-centuries from Kumar Sangakkara and Malinda Warnapure took Sri Lanka to 120 for two in the first innings at lunch on the opening day of the first Test against Pakistan at the National Stadium here Saturday.
The tourists, who chose to make first use of a perfect batting pitch, lost their debutant opener Tharanga Paranavitana in the first over to pacer Umar Gul but a solid 90-run partnership for the second wicket between Warnapura and Sangakkara gave them a perfect platform for a big total.
Paranavitana, 26, fell for a golden duck, edging an angling delivery to Misbah-ul-Haq at second slip. But Pakistan were unable to capitalise on a good start as Warnapura and Sangakkara scored fluently against Gul and debutant pacer Sohail Khan.
Warnapura, who put up his 50 off just 39 balls with the help of seven fours, fell to medium-pacer Yasir Arafat in the 18th over, when he edged one to Misbah-ul-Haq in the second slip. His 59 came off 48 balls with nine hits to the fence.
Sangakkara, who has scored three tons and two fifties against Pakistan in five Tests, continued his good form after being joined by outgoing captain Mahela Jayawardene. He completed his fifty off 84 balls after a 113-minute stay on the crease, just minutes before lunch. Jayawardene, who took his time to open his account, was unbeaten on five. Arafat was the most impressive bowler with 1-24 while Gul bowled one spell, taking 1-33 in six overs.
- Jayawardene, Samaraweera hit tons to put Sri Lanka in control - Feb 21, 2009
- Jayawardene completes 8,000 runs as Sri Lanka make 247/3 (Tea Report) - Feb 21, 2009
- Mohsin says he can get along with skipper Misbah - Oct 06, 2011
- Pakistan elect to bat against Sri Lanka - Feb 26, 2011
- Kohli stars in India's record ODI chase against Pakistan (Roundup) - Mar 18, 2012
- (VM) India record maiden World Cup semifinal victory at home (Statistical highlights) - Mar 31, 2011
- Pakistan eye successful return to Test arena - Feb 20, 2009
- Asia Cup: Pakistan beat Sri Lanka with bonus point (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Afridi takes four wickets, Pakistan beat Sri Lanka by 11 runs (Lead) - Feb 27, 2011
- Pakistan shine but Test ends in a draw - Feb 25, 2009
- Pakistan drop Riaz over spot-fixing links - Nov 21, 2011
- Ishant strikes thrice as Sri Lanka make 361/6 (Lunch Report) - Jul 20, 2010
- Pakistan recall Kamran Akmal, Razzaq for World T20 - Jul 12, 2012
- Tendulkar's 85 gives India some target to bowl at (Lead) - Mar 30, 2011
- 'Recuperating' Tanvir dropped from Pak squad for South Africa Test series - Nov 05, 2010
Tags: arafat, balls, centuries, crease, fence, fifties, first test, golden duck, gul, haq, jayawardene, kumar sangakkara, lunch report, malinda, medium pacer, opening day, pitch, sohail khan, tourists, wicket