Waqar submits reply to PCB notice, ‘regrets’ commenting on WC captaincy issueJanuary 26th, 2011 - 5:00 pm ICT by ANI
Karachi, Jan 26(ANI): Pakistan cricket coach Waqar Younis has submitted his reply to the Pakistan Cricket Board’s show cause notice, and expressed regret over his comments on the World Cup captaincy issue that he recently made on a television channel.
“Yes, Waqar has submitted a reply to the notice that the board had sent him. And Waqar has said that he would be careful in future while giving statements,” the Daily Times quoted a PCB source, as saying.
Earlier, the board had issued a notice to Waqar for issuing a statement regarding the selectors’ decision to withhold the name of the captain while announcing the final 15-member squad for next month’s World Cup, and demanded an explanation from him on his remarks.
Waqar had said: “I am surprised that the board has delayed announcing the captain. I don’t know the reasons for this but personally I think the captain should have been named with the team.”
In recent times, the PCB has adopted a new media policy for the players and officials, and come down hard on any violations of this policy, which include limiting direct interaction with journalists and depending more on press releases.
“Waqar has expressed regrets over his comments and conceded that he spoke on an issue, which is not in his domain as national team coach,” the source said, adding, “He has also assured us he will be careful while giving statements in future.”
The captaincy issue has attracted a huge debate in Pakistan over who should be leading the team in the World Cup- incumbent one-day captain Shahid Afridi or Test skipper Misbahul Haq.
According to sources, Waqar privately told the board that it would be unwise to change the captain for the one-day team at the eleventh hour before the World Cup.
“Waqar is backing Afridi to be given the captaincy for the World Cup as he believes the experienced all-rounder can deliver the goods in the high pressure tournament,” the source added. (ANI)
- PCB chief leaves for New Zealand to decide on WC captain - Jan 20, 2011
- PCB most likely to retain Afridi as Pak captain for World Cup 2011 - Feb 01, 2011
- PCB boss Butt 'secretly' leaves for NZ to decide on Pak captain for World Cup - Jan 21, 2011
- Miffed Afridi decides to retire, PCB comes under pressure - May 31, 2011
- Afridi pays price for speaking truth about team selection process for UAE series - Oct 13, 2010
- Misbah replaces Afridi for Ireland ODI series - May 19, 2011
- I spoke in the interest of the team: Afridi - Oct 13, 2010
- PCB issues notice to Afridi over his public remarks - May 09, 2011
- Keep mouth shut and let bat do the talking: Waqar to Afridi - Nov 07, 2011
- PCB summons coach Waqar for probe in team rift - May 30, 2011
- PCB issues notice to Waqar Younis for violating board's new media policy - Jan 20, 2011
- Afridi denies rift within team management - May 10, 2011
- Afridi is 'immature': Younis in report to PCB - Jun 07, 2011
- Afridi comes out of retirement - Oct 18, 2011
- PCB divided over retaining Afridi as Pak captain for World Cup - Jan 17, 2011
Tags: afridi, eleventh hour, interaction, journalists, member squad, national team coach, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket coach, pcb source, press releases, reply, rounder, selectors, skipper, television channel, waqar younis, world cup