Wang Shixian left out Chinese Olympic badminton squadJuly 11th, 2012 - 12:13 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 10 (IANS) Women’s World No.4 shuttler Wang Shixian was left out of China’s London Olympics squad as dark horse Li Xuerui grabbed the ticket along with Wang Yihan and Wang Xin Tuesday.
Women’s singles is the only Olympics badminton event in which four Chinese shuttlers qualified. However, according to Badminton World Federation rules, three must be chosen from among the world top four, reports Xinhua.
Reigning world champion Wang Yihan secured an Olympic ticket by leading China to regain the Uber Cup in May. World No. 2 Wang Xin also staged a good performance in the Uber Cup.
The 21-year-old Li Xuerui, who is on a four-tournament winning streak in the past four months, is a relative newcomer to the traditional three “Wang”s echelon. She surpassed Wang Shixian in the world ranking to enter the top three recently.
Asian Games gold medalist Wang Shixian suffered a string of poor performances since her shocking loss to German Juliane Schenk at last year’s Sudirman Cup opener.
Chinese head coach Li Yongbo has emphasized the importance of the results against major rivals, hence Li beat Wang to enter the London Games at last.
At the London Games, China’s three shuttlers will face stiff competition from many opponents, a number which has doubled compared to the Beijing Games, namely India’s world No.5 Saina Nehwal, Germany’s Juliane Schenk, Danish veteran Tine Baun, South Korean Sung Ji Hyun and Thailand’s teenager Ratchanok Intanon.
In other four events, the star-studded Chinese squad has already been finalized. Superstar Lin Dan is in quest for a record second Olympic men’s singles title. Men’s double favorites Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng will also seek their first Olympic title.
The Olympic badminton competition takes place from 28 July to 5 August at Wembley Arena in north-west London.
The squad of Chinese badminton team is as followed:
Men’s singles: Lin Dan, Chen Long, Chen Jin
Women’s singles: Wang Yihan, Wang Xin, Li Xuerui
Men’s doubles: Cai Yun/Fu Haifeng, Chai Biao/Guo Zhendong
Women’s doubles: Yu Yang/Wang Xiaoli, Tian Qing/Zhao Yunlei
Mixed doubles: Zhan Nan/Zhao Yunlei, Xu Chen/Ma Jin
- Olympic badminton: Chinese off to a good start - Jul 29, 2012
- China vows to take back Uber Cup - May 18, 2012
- Chen Long, Wang Yihan win singles titles at Japan Open - Sep 25, 2011
- Asian badminton: Ajay Jayaram goes down fighting - Apr 18, 2012
- Lin Dan to lead China's challenge in Thomas Cup - May 18, 2012
- I can hope and try, not predict: Saina Nehwal (Interview) - Jul 16, 2012
- Chinese badminton head coach blames referee for player's injury - Aug 05, 2012
- India Open: Kashyap goes down fighting in semis - Apr 28, 2012
- Olympic badminton: China sweeps men's doubles titles - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Shuttler Kashyap qualifies for London Olympics - Apr 28, 2012
- Olympics: Wang retires to hand Saina badminton bronze (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Chen Jin on course for Olympic berth - Apr 19, 2012
- Getting the hang of Chinese at the right time: Saina Nehwal (Interview) - Mar 25, 2012
- All England Championships: Saina sails into quarters - Mar 09, 2012
Tags: badminton team, chinese head, chinese olympic, fu haifeng, gold medalist, ji hyun, juliane schenk, li xu, north west london, olympic badminton, olympic men, olympic ticket, olympic title, relative newcomer, saina nehwal, shocking loss, shuttlers, sudirman cup, uber cup, xin li