Walcott wants to be as scary as RonaldoApril 29th, 2009 - 5:23 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 29 (ANI): Arsenal striker Theo Walcott has one simple aim as he goes head to head with Cristiano Ronaldo.
Winger Walcott knows Arsenal’s chances of reaching next month’s Champions League final will hinge on keeping Ronaldo under lock and key at Old Trafford tonight.
He has nothing but admiration for the Portuguese magician whose trickery, pace and power can drive opponents to distraction, The Sun reports.
“Ronaldo is the best player in the world for me. He only needs to walk on to the pitch to have defenders scared straight away. That’s the message I want to send out. I want left-backs to see my name on the team-sheet and be afraid of me before we’ve even kicked off,” Walcott said.
“I’ve got to work hard to get to that level. Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney are already there. Wazza is an unbelievable player and obviously we have to stop him in the semi-final because he is a winner.
“Even in training with England he wants to win all the time. He’ll kick anyone to win - you definitely want to be in his team.”
Yet Walcott insists Arsenal’s kids have more than enough quality to end United’s reign as European champions.
He added: “We feel we’re as good as any team in the world. You can go through each individual in the Arsenal side and we have so many potential match winners. We know how dominant we can be and we play unbelievable football at times.”
Walcott, 20, has been in scintillating form since returning from his latest shoulder operation. The striker made his 100th appearance for Arsenal in Sunday’s 2-0 win against Middlesbrough.(ANI)
- Arsenal will win Premier League this season: Walcott - Apr 02, 2011
- Walcott surprised by his own Roanldo dip - Jun 16, 2012
- Man U's first defeat have boosted Arsenal's Premier League title hopes: Walcott - Feb 08, 2011
- Beckham helped me discover title-winning mentality: Walcott - Dec 29, 2010
- Messi admits Barcelona 'terrified' of Walcott's pace ahead of Champions League clash - Feb 15, 2011
- Carroll hails 'great' England - Jun 16, 2012
- Fighting Arsenal bow out of Champions League - Mar 07, 2012
- Arsenal will ensure Barca's exit from Champions League: Walcott - Apr 02, 2010
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden - Jun 16, 2012
- Arsenal bent on wrecking Man U's unbeaten run: Walcott - Dec 10, 2010
- Walcott to miss England's World Cup qualifier against Ukraine - Sep 10, 2012
- Bolts of English Premier League - Aug 07, 2012
- Champions League: Barcelona held by Milan, Arsenal by Dortmund - Sep 14, 2011
- England's Walcott doubtful for Ukraine match - Jun 18, 2012
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: admiration, arsenal, best player, champions league final, cristiano ronaldo, distraction, european champions, lock and key, magician, match, old trafford, opponents, pitch, ronaldo, shoulder operation, theo walcott, trickery, unbelievable player, wayne rooney, winger